1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine the base of a Number given a problem?

1. Aug 23, 2004 #1
    The problem is a follows

142 alpha 214 = 331
    and
    431 beta 123 = 303

where alpha and beta are unknow operators

I am pretty sure they are +,-,*,/

I know the radix (base) must be 5 or higher because 4 is present

By assuming the base to be 5 and converting to decimal, I discover beta = - and the base is indeed five. But if I convert the first part the first part to decimal useing base 5 the answer is wrong.

It is possible I copied the problem incorrectly

In general, my question is, how to determine the base to a number system given a problem similiar to the one above.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only way I could think of is to TRY various bases, various operations and SEE which one works. Somethime the best way to solve a problem is actually do all the "donkey work".

4. Aug 23, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are restricted to just the +/- operations, you can rewrite the problem in term of two unknowns (if alpha, beta are given to be distinct; else three unknowns). Let the base be 'b' :

[tex](2+4b+b^2) + (-1)^n (4+b+2b^2) = 1+3b+3b^2[/tex]

and [tex] (1+3b+4b^2) + (-1)^m (3+2b+b^2) = 3+3b^2~~~n,m ~\epsilon~ {0,1}[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  5. Aug 23, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's another thing to notice ...and this, in conjuction with the above type of method, gives you a solution.

<small number> alpha <large number> =<larger number>, all numbers positive

So alpha must be addition or multiplication. But the number of digits of LHS and RHS are the same (three), so it must be addition. By a similar reasoning, beta is subtraction.

Thus, you copied the problem down incorrectly.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?