1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine the leakage flux around a solenoid

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I am currently attempting to determing the leakage flux (for all intents and purposes) from a solenoid (DC current) with various core shapes and sizes. I have tried doing this using Comsol and Feko, but so far have been unable to. Does anyone have any knowledge of either of these softwares, enough to give me a basic idea so I can start working?

Further, say I have determined that I lose ~ 10% from the core. If I were to have a slight u bend shape, have the metal lying parallel to the solenoid and would to attempt to determine the force that the solenoid would impart on a piece of ferromagnetic material, is there a way to make a simple approximation without having to perform Amperes law outside the solenoid?
    Finally, if I am interested in finding the force on said material, where would I start? Can anyone give me somewhere to start?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted