How to determine the leakage flux around a solenoid

In summary, the individual is seeking help with determining leakage flux from a solenoid using software such as Comsol or Feko. They are also interested in finding the force on a piece of ferromagnetic material in a solenoid with a u-bend shape. Possible methods for calculating the force include using the Lorentz force law or the Maxwell stress tensor, and recommendations include familiarizing oneself with the basics of electromagnetism and consulting with experts or relevant research papers.
!xobile
Hey everyone,
I am currently attempting to determing the leakage flux (for all intents and purposes) from a solenoid (DC current) with various core shapes and sizes. I have tried doing this using Comsol and Feko, but so far have been unable to. Does anyone have any knowledge of either of these softwares, enough to give me a basic idea so I can start working?

Further, say I have determined that I lose ~ 10% from the core. If I were to have a slight u bend shape, have the metal lying parallel to the solenoid and would to attempt to determine the force that the solenoid would impart on a piece of ferromagnetic material, is there a way to make a simple approximation without having to perform Amperes law outside the solenoid?
Finally, if I am interested in finding the force on said material, where would I start? Can anyone give me somewhere to start?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• image_solenoid.png
    image_solenoid.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out with your question. I am a scientist with expertise in electromagnetism and I may be able to offer some guidance on your research.

Firstly, I am not familiar with Comsol and Feko specifically, but I do have experience with other simulation software such as ANSYS and CST Studio Suite. From my understanding, these software are capable of simulating the magnetic field and flux density around a solenoid with different core shapes and sizes. It is important to ensure that your simulation setup is accurate and includes all necessary parameters such as material properties and boundary conditions.

As for determining the force on a piece of ferromagnetic material, there are a few approaches you can take. One method is to use the magnetic field data from your simulation and apply the Lorentz force law, which relates the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field to its velocity and the strength of the magnetic field. This can give you a rough approximation of the force, but it may not be accurate for complex geometries.

Another approach is to use the Maxwell stress tensor, which is a mathematical tool that allows you to calculate the force on a material due to an electromagnetic field. This method may be more accurate for complex geometries and can be implemented in simulation software.

In terms of where to start, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the basics of electromagnetism and the equations mentioned above. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field or look for relevant research papers that have studied similar problems.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire with an electric current running through it, which produces a magnetic field.

What is leakage flux?

Leakage flux is the magnetic field that escapes from a solenoid and does not contribute to the overall magnetic field inside the solenoid.

Why is it important to determine the leakage flux around a solenoid?

Determining the leakage flux around a solenoid is important for understanding the efficiency and performance of the solenoid. It can also help in designing and optimizing the solenoid for specific applications.

How can the leakage flux around a solenoid be determined?

The leakage flux around a solenoid can be determined by using a gaussmeter or fluxmeter to measure the magnetic field strength at various points around the solenoid. This data can then be used to calculate the leakage flux.

What factors affect the leakage flux around a solenoid?

The amount of leakage flux around a solenoid can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the solenoid, the current flowing through it, and the materials used in its construction.