How to determine the minor loss for this system?

In summary, the person is seeking help with determining the minor head loss in a system with two opposing flow converges at a given point. They are working with air as the medium and are looking for thoughts on how to approach this problem. They mention a potential contraction element in the junction and ask for the velocity that should be assumed in determining the minor head loss using the head loss equation. The expert advises using the continuity equation to determine the velocity at the junction and then plugging it into the head loss equation to calculate the minor head loss.
nebousuke
Hi, it's me again. I've attached the diagram of the system which its minor loss is needed to be determined. Cross section profile 1 is named "cross 1" and cross section profile 2 is named "cross 2" in the given links.

I stumbled yet another hurdle as I've never worked on two opposing flow converges at a given point. I've been through some of the books but I only encounter single direction flow only. The medium of the fluid is air by the way. Any thoughts? thanks.

Cross 1
attachment.php?attachmentid=15607&d=1222399838.jpg

Cross 2
attachment.php?attachmentid=15608&d=1222399838.jpg

EDIT: I noticed that there is some contraction element in the junction and ultimately caused the variation in velocity between two sections. If I analyze it as though a tee branch flow, what would be the velocity that I should assumed in determining the minor head loss.

H=K*V^2/2g

Attachments

• System.JPG
    System.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For the above equation, you will need to determine the velocity of the flow at the junction. This can be done by using the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate (the product of density and velocity) must be equal throughout the system. Therefore, in this case, since you are looking at two separate flows converging at a junction, you would need to calculate the mass flow rate of each of the two flows separately and then equate them. From this equation, you can then solve for the velocity at the junction. Once you have the velocity at the junction, you can then plug this into the head loss equation to calculate the minor head loss.

What is minor loss in a system?

Minor loss, also known as local loss, is the decrease in energy or pressure in a fluid flow system due to changes in the geometry of the system, such as bends, fittings, and valves.

Why is it important to determine the minor loss in a system?

Determining the minor loss in a system is important for accurately predicting the performance and efficiency of the system. It also helps in selecting the appropriate components and designing the system to reduce energy losses and ensure optimal operation.

How is minor loss calculated?

Minor loss is calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid flow rate, density, viscosity, and the geometrical factors of the system. It can also be calculated using empirical data from experiments or published tables.

What are some common sources of minor loss in a system?

Some common sources of minor loss in a system include sudden changes in pipe diameter, pipe fittings, valves, and pipe bends. Other factors that can contribute to minor loss include roughness of the pipe walls and flow turbulence.

How can minor loss be minimized in a system?

Minor loss can be minimized in a system by using smoother pipe materials, reducing the number of fittings and bends, and selecting components with lower pressure drops. Proper system design and regular maintenance can also help in minimizing minor losses.