1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine whether an object is more or less electronegative than another

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    I'm doing a lab on electrostatics, and I need to develop an electrostatic series.

I've established a small sheet of plastic (20") as my reference material for determining charges.

In my lab, it was given, that rubbing plastic in wool would give the plastic a negative charge meaning it is more electronegative than wool. So, so far my series looks like this:

Wool
    Plastic

(more electropositive substances at the top - more electronengative substances at the bottom)

Then I rubbed a balloon in wool and moved it close to the reference material, plastic, and they repelled. This obviously shows that they have like charges. Therefore, the balloon has a negative charge like that plastic which makes it more electronegative than the wool. But now how do I determine which substance is more electronegative of the two, the balloon or the plastic? So the series is something like this now,

Wool
    Plastic - Balloon

I'm not sure how to order the plastic and the balloon, all I know is that they are both more electronegative than wool.

Is there any way of determining this?

thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted