Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine which frame measures "larger" dx?

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    First time posting in this section. I understand that this question could possibly be an old and common question about Lorentz Transformation, however I failed to find useful discussions or instructions online.

Assuming that there're 2 frames ##S, S'## where ##S'## moves along the ##x_{+}## axis of ##S## at constant speed ##v##. The frames coincide at ##<0,0,0,0>## (as well as their rectilinear coordinate axes) for a starting event ##P## and then measure ##<x, y, z, t>## and ##<x', y', z', t'>## respectively for event ##Q##.

According to Lorentz Transform I shall have:

##x'=\gamma \cdot (x-vt)##
    ##t'=\gamma \cdot (t-\frac{vx}{c^2})##

where ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

Now that ##\frac{dx'}{dx} = \gamma## which indicates that ##\frac{dx'}{dx}## is independent of the direction of ##v## along the ##x## axis. However it doesn't make sense to me here. If I introduce a 3rd frame ##S''## which moves along the ##x_{-}## direction of ##S## at a constant speed ##v##, then should I get ##\frac{dx''}{dx}=\gamma## as well and further ##dx'' = dx'## (which should NOT hold bcz ##S'## and ##S''## are dynamic to each other)? Did I make a mistake in the calculation?

I'm quite confused for how "some degree of symmetry" (for relation of ##dx, dx', dx''## above) could be achieved if Lorentz Transformation is true. Any help will be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When there is more than one variable involved, it's not true that[tex]
    dx' = \frac{dx'}{dx}\,dx
    [/tex]The correct equation is [tex]
    dx' = \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}\,dx + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial y}\,dy + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial z}\,dz + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}\,dt
    [/tex]

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    Hi @DrGreg, I'm not sure how I should interpret your answer. Of course you're right about that ##dx' = \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial z} dz + \frac{\partial x'}{\partial t} dt##, however if ##dx, dy, dz, dt## are mutually independent then ##\frac{dx'}{dx} = \gamma## should still hold. Do you imply that ##dx, dy, dz, dt## can NEVER be mutually independent for any events ##P## and ##Q##?

I tried to put the classical thought experiment where ##P## is "emission of light along x+ axis of ##S##(as well as ##S'##)" and ##Q## is "detection of light somewhere in space-time of ##S##(as well as ##S'##)" into calculation. Now I have ##x=ct## of ##S## as variable dependency but I'm still lost in the maths :(

Maybe I shall re-describe the question this way: 2 observers Alice and Bob who remain still in frame ##S## and ##S'## respectively where ##S## and ##S'## are the same as stated in my original question. Alice learns Special Relativity and he figures out that currently for 2 specific events ##P, Q## Bob measures larger(or smaller maybe, haven't figured this out) time-elapsed ##dt'## than his own measurement ##dt##. Can Alice just reverse the direction of his ##x##-axis(i.e. rotate around the ##z##-axis) and say that "from now on Bob measures smaller ##dt'## than my ##dt##"? In short is measurement dependent upon "choice of coordinate axes" or "alignment of coordinate axes"?

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To put it more precisely, ##dx' = \gamma dx## is true provided ##dt = 0##. (In your question ##dy = dz = 0## always, so we can ignore those.)

Similarly, ##dx'' = \gamma dx## is true provided ##dt = 0##. When you come to compare S' with S'', however, you can only conclude that ##dx'' = dx'## whenever ##dt = 0##, when really what you are interested is when ##dt' = 0## (or ##dt'' = 0## if you are comparing S' with S'').

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5
    @DrGreg, that makes sense. Do you minding taking a look at this as well(quoted from my previous reply)?

2 observers Alice and Bob who remain still in frame ##S## and ##S′## respectively where ##S## and ##S′## are the same as stated in my original question. Alice learns Special Relativity and he figures out that currently for 2 specific events ##P,Q## Bob measures larger(or smaller maybe, haven't figured this out) time-elapsed ##dt′## than his own measurement ##dt##. Can Alice just reverse the direction of his ##x##-axis(i.e. rotate around the ##z##-axis) and say that "from now on Bob measures smaller ##dt′## than my ##dt##"? In short is measurement dependent upon "choice of coordinate axes" or "alignment of coordinate axes"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook