How to Find Constants in a Ball's Simple Harmonic Motion on an Asteroid

In summary, this problem involves a ball being dropped down a shaft on an asteroid, and the equations relate the ball's position, velocity, and acceleration.
MrRandom66

Homework Statement

I'm total newbie when it comes to differenciatiation, and was wondering if I'm doing this correct.

Basically, this is a physics problem, but thought I'd put this in the calculus section for specific help.

It's about a ball undergoing SHM, after being dropped down a shaft on an asteroid! (an everyday occurance you'll find)

I've got to find the constants for A, B, and C.

We haven't been told what they represent, but I'm pretty sure B is velocity, C, acceleration due to gravity (Not Earths gravity, remember) and I think A is either Amplitude, or initial position. I'm not sure.

Homework Equations

x(t) = A + Bt + Ct^2

Where the ball is released at x=R at t=0s

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure I'm doing this correctly, but for the first derrivative...

R(0s) = A + B x 0s + C 0s^2 = A.

So does this mean, that time at 0s is in position A?

Physics news on Phys.org
MrRandom66 said:
So does this mean, that time at 0s is in position A?

Yes it does.

more importantly it means that A = R

Hmm I'm having trouble going in an editing my posts, I apologize that there are multiple ones. You also know that the ball is released from rest at time 0 as well. What can you do with that equation to find some more information?

dacruick said:
more importantly it means that A = R

So, I presume A is Initial position, and not the amplitude?

Anyway, second derivative. Velocity.

R(t) = Bt + 2Ct^1

Which is 0 again isn't it? As time = 0s.

Not sure I've done this correctly.

Just realized the question does say "at small times the ball has the x-component of the ball has the following form", so shall I change t to perhaps 0.1s to discover position etc?

MrRandom66 said:
Not sure I've done this correctly.

You didn't. that 't' in 'Bt' should not be there.

I must go for the day MrRandom. You will find the method of solving these types of equations by googling "Linear Second Order Differential Equations with Constant Coefficients". Good luck to you.

Ok thanks for your help. If someone else could help me I'd appreciate it.

I think I've got the differenciation part susses.

v(t) = dx/dt = B + 2ct
a(t) = d2x/dt2 = 2c

Now i', supposed to find numerical values for these, but not sure where to begin.

1. What is the purpose of differentiation?

Differentiation is used to determine the rate of change of a function. It helps to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a curve, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function.

2. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function, which represents the rate of change of the function.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

While differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function, integration is used to find the area under the curve of a function. In other words, differentiation is the reverse process of integration.

4. Can differentiation be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to differentiate, such as implicit differentiation or logarithmic differentiation.

5. What are the real-world applications of differentiation?

Differentiation has many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects, determine the optimal production level in economics, and find the maximum or minimum values of a function in engineering problems.