Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench

In summary, Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench is a method used to simplify the analysis of complex geometries by dividing them into symmetrical sections. This reduces computation time and resources, making it ideal for structural and fluid flow problems with geometric symmetry. It is performed by creating a symmetry plane or axis and setting appropriate boundary conditions, and can help with faster analysis, optimization, and post-processing of results. However, it is not suitable for all problems and may not accurately capture the effects of asymmetrical features or loading conditions.
juanmariacg
Hello everybody,

that´s a simple question: I have a symmetry problem to analisys using Structural Mechanic on Ansys Workbench.

I´ve applied a Symmetry function on Design Modeler. Can I visualize the result on the whole geometry?

Thank´s in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

I believe it's Style>Symmetric Expansion. I believe it's at the very bottom. That gives you cartesian and cylindrical expansion options.

Oh...you're in Workbench. I don't know of a way to do it in Workbench, sorry.

What is the purpose of Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench?

Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench is used to simplify the analysis of a complex geometry by dividing it into symmetrical sections. This allows for faster computation and reduces the overall computational cost.

How is Symmetry Problem Analysis performed in Ansys Workbench?

In Ansys Workbench, Symmetry Problem Analysis is performed by creating a symmetry plane or axis in the model and setting appropriate boundary conditions. The solver then automatically applies the symmetry conditions to the unsolved portion of the model.

What types of problems are best suited for Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench?

Symmetry Problem Analysis is best suited for problems with geometric symmetry, such as structural or fluid flow problems. These can include problems with axial, radial, or planar symmetry.

What are the benefits of using Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench?

The main benefit of using Symmetry Problem Analysis is that it reduces the computational time and resources required to solve a problem. This allows for faster analysis and optimization of designs. Additionally, it can also help to simplify the post-processing of results.

Are there any limitations to using Symmetry Problem Analysis in Ansys Workbench?

While Symmetry Problem Analysis can be very useful, it is not suitable for all types of problems. It is only applicable for problems with symmetrical geometry and boundary conditions. Additionally, it may not accurately capture the effects of asymmetrical features or loading conditions.