Understanding Sound Cavity: A Guide for Greenhands

In summary: This can also be seen in the applet provided by ehild. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of nodes and anti-nodes in sound waves, specifically in the context of a 1-dimensional wave equation for sound in a cylinder cavity. The variables p and q are used to represent local pressure and molecule displacement, respectively. The open end of the cylinder is a node for acoustic pressure and the closed end is a node for molecule displacement, resulting in an anti-node for acoustic pressure.
genxium

Homework Statement

No specific question, I'm a greenhand to waves, so when it came to sound cavity, I was just confused how the teacher(in the video lecture,I'm not a physics major) can distinguish which side is a node and which is an anti-node, it seems too fast for me, could anyone give me a hand?

Like give p(z,t)=(Acos(kz)+Bsin(kz))cos(wt), inside a 1 end open,1 end closed cylinder cavity, the teacher just assumed a new variable, say q, referring to the deviation of air molecules , and I just didn't know what p stands for ? I supposed that p was for the deviation of air molecules before q jumps out >_<

Homework Equations

The 1 dim wave equation? I'm afraid I'm totally confused what x in [itex]\frac{\partial x^2}{{\partial}^2 z}=\frac{\partial x^2}{v^2 {\partial}^2 t}[/itex] refers to.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not yet quite understand anything >_<

Physics news on Phys.org

This shouldn't really be in the homework section. (So that you know where to post in the future). A question like this should really go in the classical or general physics section. The reason is that we're not allowed to give too much help in the homework section. So if I started telling you as much as I could about sound waves, I might get banned. (Which is fair enough).

I'm guessing this isn't really homework, and you'd like some extra explanation of what the teacher was talking about?

BruceW said:
I'm guessing this isn't really homework, and you'd like some extra explanation of what the teacher was talking about?

Thanks for you advice, as you may see, every time I try to post something in a section other than "homework", there's a red line warning making me hesitate if I should really post it in "homework" section or not, and I think this problem might be involved in someone's homework >_<

[tex]\frac{\partial x^2}{{\partial}^2 z}=\frac{\partial x^2}{v^2 {\partial}^2 t}[/tex]
I don't know what this means either. But I do know that:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 P}{{\partial z}^2}=\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial^2 P}{{\partial t}^2}[/tex]
Is the acoustic wave equation (for sound, in 1D). And in the equation, P is the difference between local pressure and ambient pressure. P is often called 'acoustic pressure'.

When it comes to nodes and anti-nodes, it is important to remember that a node for molecule displacement is an anti-node for acoustic pressure. And an anti-node for molecule displacement is a node for acoustic pressure.

The open end of the cylinder must be a node for acoustic pressure because the local pressure must equal the ambient pressure. And at the closed end of the cylinder, we know the molecule displacement must go to zero. So the closed end is a node for molecule displacement, and therefore an anti-node for acoustic pressure.

1. What is a sound cavity?

A sound cavity is an enclosed space that allows sound waves to resonate and amplify, creating a louder and more defined sound. Common examples of sound cavities include musical instruments, such as guitars and violins, as well as speakers and earphones.

2. How does a sound cavity work?

When a sound wave enters a sound cavity, it bounces off the walls and creates standing waves. These standing waves interact with each other and reinforce the sound, resulting in a louder and more clear sound. The size and shape of the sound cavity play a crucial role in determining the quality and characteristics of the sound produced.

3. What materials are commonly used to create sound cavities?

The most common materials used to create sound cavities are wood, metal, and plastic. Each material has its own unique properties and can affect the sound produced. For example, wood is often used for musical instrument sound cavities due to its ability to produce warm and rich tones.

4. Can the shape of a sound cavity affect the sound?

Yes, the shape of a sound cavity can greatly impact the sound produced. A larger sound cavity can create a deeper and more resonant sound, while a smaller sound cavity can produce a higher pitched and more compact sound. Additionally, the shape of the walls and the placement of openings can also affect the sound quality.

5. How can understanding sound cavities benefit musicians and sound engineers?

Understanding sound cavities can greatly benefit musicians and sound engineers in creating and manipulating sound. By understanding the principles of sound cavities, musicians can choose the right instruments and equipment to achieve the desired sound. Sound engineers can also use their knowledge of sound cavities to optimize the acoustics of a room or space for better sound production.