How to divide a cylinder

• Thread starter physior
  • Start date
jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
well, it doesn't work like that
you cannot have spiral holes, I told you the holes are linear across the cylinder length
but let the cylinder thing, we were talking about the circle
You also drew lines that were not straight and talked about lines going straight down the long axis of the cylinder and showed an example of straight lines across the flat end of the cylinder but then talked about holes that are circular rather than straight.

How do you expect us to answer your question when you refuse to tell us what your question is?

Edit: I think I see your objection. The "spiral" I was talking about was not a spiral down through the cylinder (like the threads on a screw) but a spiral on the surface of the end. Like the first part of the yellow brick road in the Wizard of Oz.

Last edited:
well, I have it clear in my mind, but I may not be able to explain it written

whatever the hole is in the base of the cylinder, the same hole goes down across its whole length

that's it

and you can have whatever shape of the hole in the base of the cylinder

but cannot be more than or less than 0.01mm^2

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
well, I have it clear in my mind, but I may not be able to explain it written

whatever the hole is in the base of the cylinder, the same hole goes down across its whole length

that's it

and you can have whatever shape of the hole in the base of the cylinder

but cannot be more than or less than 0.01mm^2
See clarification in edit in my previous post. I am talking about a shape on the base of the cylinder. Each tiny hole can have a perimeter that is arbitrarily large, even though its area is 0.01mm2

well, if that maximizes the perimeter, yes, why not

The personal attacks are not appreciated.
Indeed. The OP has been dealt with.
You also drew lines that were not straight and talked about lines going straight down the long axis of the cylinder and showed an example of straight lines across the flat end of the cylinder but then talked about holes that are circular rather than straight.

How do you expect us to answer your question when you refuse to tell us what your question is?
That's been the basic question throughout this thread.