Optimizing Integration: Tips for Faster Calculations

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a faster method for evaluating the integral 2π∫x^3sin2x dx. The suggested technique is to use tabular integration instead of the given substitution u = 2x. This method proved to be more efficient and took less time.
bomba923
(excuse my poor LaTex...i don't know it very well yet :redface: )
[tex] 2\pi \int {x^3 \sin 2x\,dx} \Rightarrow \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
u = 2x \\
du = 2dx \\
\end{array} \right\} \Rightarrow \frac{\pi }{8}\int {u^3 \sin u\,du} = \frac{\pi }{8}\left( { - u^3 \cos u + \int {u^2 \cos u\,du} } \right) [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{\pi }{8}\left( { - u^3 \cos u + u^2 \sin u + u\cos u - \sin u} \right) [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{{\pi \left[ { - 8x^3 \cos \left( {2x} \right) + 4x^2 \sin \left( {2x} \right) + 2x\cos {2x} - \sin {2x}} \right]}}{8} [/tex]

How can I do this faster? Are there things I can skip or connect--etc--?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The substitution u = 2x seems unnecessary.

just use tabular integration. that would be the fastest way to do it.

Thanx--I tried it and it took much less time

no problem. glad i could help. :smile:

1. How can I increase my productivity?

Increasing productivity can be achieved by setting clear goals and priorities, managing time effectively, eliminating distractions, and delegating tasks when possible. It is also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

2. What are some techniques for completing tasks more quickly?

Some techniques for completing tasks more quickly include breaking larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones, using time management tools such as the Pomodoro technique, and using technology to automate repetitive tasks.

3. How can I improve my time management skills?

Improving time management skills can be done by creating a schedule or to-do list, prioritizing tasks, setting realistic deadlines, and avoiding procrastination. Regularly evaluating and adjusting your time management strategies can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any tools or resources that can help me work faster?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help with working faster. Some examples include project management software, time tracking apps, and productivity apps that can help with task organization and time management.

5. How can I work faster without sacrificing quality?

To work faster without sacrificing quality, it is important to establish a balance between speed and accuracy. This can be achieved by setting realistic goals and deadlines, focusing on one task at a time, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to communicate with others and ask for help when needed.