1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to do these integrals?

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    a. [itex]
    \int x*ln(2x) dx
    b. [itex]
    \int \frac{x^2}{x^2-4} dx

My Attempt:
    a. I have abs. no clue how to start it off. Do you start it off using integration by parts?
    b. Same with this. I don't know how to start it off.

"Random" Questions:
    1) What does "converge" and "diverge" mean? i.e. Another question asks "Determine if each integral converges or diverges". I can do the integrals, but I'm not sure what its asking. One results in the answer being pi/3, the other results in infinity.
    2) When the question tells you to setup an integral for a volume of a solid generated when the region is rotated about the line x=-2 using cylindrical shells, you just do:
    [itex]\pi *
    \int (f(x)+2)^2 dx

P.S. I'm not asking for answers, but rather how to start them off. Maybe 1 or 2 beginning steps in integrating these? =D
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi lastdayx52, welcome to PF:smile:

Let's start with a) and b).... For a) try integration by parts....For b), hint: [itex]x^2=(x^2-4)+4[/itex]:wink:

Give it a shot and post your attempt if you require further assistance.
  4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    Got a:
    [itex]\frac{x^2*(2*ln(2)-1)}{4}+\frac{x^2*ln(x)}{2} + C[/itex]
    Checked on calculator, and was correct. Thank you!

Now for b, that doesn't help me at all... >.>
  5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not?

[tex]\int \frac{x^2}{x^2-4} dx=\int \frac{(x^2-4)+4}{x^2-4} dx=\int \frac{x^2-4}{x^2-4} dx +\int \frac{4}{x^2-4} dx[/tex]
  6. Jan 27, 2009 #5
    LOL haha... See I did that, but stupidly thought the integral of 1 = 1, and when checked against the calculator, it was obviously not correct. haha... Thanks! =P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?