Integrating Complex Conjugates: Solving the Integral with a Constant y

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the choice of integration method depends on the function and given limits, with common methods including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Calculators can be used for basic integrals, but for more complex ones, a computer program or hand-solving is recommended. Definite integrals have specific limits and give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals do not have limits and give a general antiderivative. To check if an integration answer is correct, you can take the derivative of the integrated function or use online calculators or seek assistance from a math teacher or tutor. It is not possible to solve integrals without a basic understanding of the underlying math concepts.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

int(f*(x-y/2)f(x+y/2)dx) from -infinity to infinity

* denotes complex conjugation

y can be treated as a constant in this integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the Fourier convolution theorem but that didn't seem to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have any kind of information on f?

f is meant to be the usual coordinate space wave function. So you can think of it as psi but no more specific information than that.

1. How do I know which integration method to use?

The choice of integration method depends on the function being integrated and the given limits. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and determine the best method to use.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, most calculators have built-in integration functions that can solve basic integrals. However, for more complex integrals, it is recommended to use a computer program or solve it by hand.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value. An indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general antiderivative of the function.

4. How do I check if my integration answer is correct?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the integrated function. If the result is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a math teacher or tutor for assistance.

5. Can I solve integrals without knowing the underlying math concepts?

No, it is important to have a basic understanding of integration and the integration methods before attempting to solve integrals. Without this understanding, it is difficult to determine which method to use and how to properly integrate the function.