How to draw a curve in Creo that is defined by an equation?

• Thread starter PrincessIceFall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, drawing a parabola in Creo is done using the "Equation Curve" tool and entering the desired equation. This allows you to create a curve that can then be used to create your desired shape.
PrincessIceFall
So I want to draw a parabola in Creo that is defined by the equation y= (h/(b^2))*x^2

Basically it looks something like this:

http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/SubParabolic.cfm

The reason I am asking this is because I need to manufacture a vessel that has curved edges, but I cannot simply give the equation to the fabricator, I have to give him dimensions, and if I draw the curve in Creo it will show the radius of the curve, but I am not sure how to draw a curve that is a function of an equation. If someone knows then please tell me how

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Drawing a parabola in Creo is actually quite simple. You can use the "Equation Curve" tool to create a curve defined by an equation. Here's how:

1. Open Creo and create a new sketch or open an existing one.

2. In the "Sketch" tab, click on the "Equation Curve" tool under the "Curve" section.

3. In the pop-up window, enter the equation for the parabola in the "Equation" field. In this case, it would be y= (h/(b^2))*x^2.

4. Click on the "Create" button and the parabola curve will appear in your sketch.

5. You can now use the curve to create your vessel with curved edges. Simply select the curve and use the "Extrude" or "Revolve" tool to create the desired shape.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do I create a curve in Creo that is defined by an equation?

To create a curve in Creo that is defined by an equation, you will need to use the "Equation Curve" feature. This can be accessed by going to the "Insert" tab, selecting "Curve", and then choosing "Equation Curve". From there, you can input the desired equation and customize the curve's parameters.

2. Can I use any type of equation to define a curve in Creo?

Yes, Creo allows you to use a wide range of equations to define a curve, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations. You can also use multiple equations to create complex curves.

3. How can I manipulate the curve after it has been created?

Once the curve has been created, you can use the "Edit Definition" option to change the equation, or you can directly manipulate the curve's control points to adjust its shape. You can also use the "Fit Curve" option to fit the curve to a specific set of points.

4. How can I export the curve as a usable CAD object?

To export the curve as a CAD object, you can use the "Convert to Spline" option, which will convert the curve into a spline that can be used in other CAD software. You can also use the "Insert" tab to directly insert the curve into a part or assembly in your Creo project.

5. Is it possible to animate the curve in Creo?

Yes, Creo allows you to animate the curve by using the "Sweep" feature. This allows you to sweep a profile along the curve to create a 3D object that can be manipulated and animated. You can also use the "Variable Section Sweep" option to create more complex animations with varying cross sections along the curve.