How to draw a Rotary Engine

CAD:
I have done a concept of a housing and rotor, (fig.1, fig.2).
Still trying to get used to the 3D like having trouble trying to understand to extrude cut like how you would in Inventor. I have learnt subtracting into models but limits me. Also how would you render a model to make it look more metal like?

Attachments

It looks good so far... I really have NO clue as to how to shade things... I know you can set up lighting of all sorts and there's a huge material library, but I never bother with that. There's gotta be some books and websites that will help with that though.

CAD:
Here I have done a details into the coolet jackets, (fig.1, fig.2).
Then I did a much more detailed design for the rotor using three-point-arch instead of a radius one for the edges. I did this because after testing out the rotor shape on the housing the arch does not actually touch the sides all the time so I used three-point-arch. Any suggestions on how to do this with an elliptical arch for I have found it is different to how the person in the video did it on Inventor. Besides the edges of the rotor I have also done more detail with the apexes adding round slots, (by the way what are they for?). I also added arch seal slots and spaces on the side to allow movement. A big change is the combustion cavities or divots on each side. This was done by extruding a block of the base shape out from the rotor and subtracting it, (fig.3)

AutoCad Mechanical:
Also would you recommend me to get AutoCad mechanical? Does it have something similar to inventor where you can assembly individual separate parts?

Attachments

I think the "rounded slots" are for the "corner seals", and the arched slot is for "side seals".. Usually there is a pair (one may suffice at least for demonstration purposes) of oil control rings.. you have to keep the oil and combustion separate, the steel seals (Side and corner seals) prevent pressurized gasses from getting into the oil, the apex seals prevent gasses from mixing on different sides of the rotor, and the oil seals prevent oil from getting into the combustion chamber. All the seals have a 'kinked metal' kind of spring behind them to keep them pushed against the housing. Go to www.mazdatrix.com.. I think they have all the parts, with pictures.

The arch of the rotor doesn't really need to be super close the the 'peak' of the epitrochoid.. the critical thing is it can never touch.

I've never used Autocad Mechanical.. I just got 2016 and it's got a few things that nerve me, but that's probably because i haven't fiddled with the settings enough.. What drives me ballistic is when I want to draw a circle and it draws it on the wrong plane!

I think the "rounded slots" are for the "corner seals", and the arched slot is for "side seals".. Usually there is a pair (one may suffice at least for demonstration purposes) of oil control rings.. you have to keep the oil and combustion separate, the steel seals (Side and corner seals) prevent pressurized gasses from getting into the oil, the apex seals prevent gasses from mixing on different sides of the rotor, and the oil seals prevent oil from getting into the combustion chamber. All the seals have a 'kinked metal' kind of spring behind them to keep them pushed against the housing. Go to www.mazdatrix.com.. I think they have all the parts, with pictures.

The arch of the rotor doesn't really need to be super close the the 'peak' of the epitrochoid.. the critical thing is it can never touch.

I've never used Autocad Mechanical.. I just got 2016 and it's got a few things that nerve me, but that's probably because i haven't fiddled with the settings enough.. What drives me ballistic is when I want to draw a circle and it draws it on the wrong plane!
I knew what the main purpose of the seals were, just not the round corner seals.
So it has nothing for assembling? like in Inventor?
I have encountered such a thing in AutoCad where it draws the circle on the wrong plane when trying to draw the template for the divots. I ended up drawing a box and filleting it, that might provide a temporary solution. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Likes supersheen
I know about 1% of Autocad's functions... and that may even be optimistic..

When a circle gets drawn on the wrong plane I usually just 3drotate it back to where it's supposed to be.. .I think it has something to do with dynamic UCS.