1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to draw

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    How do I draw a graph, when all y values are for intervals. Example: 0-1000: 20, 1000-2000: 30. i tried the middle value, but according to the correct answers they had used "prettier" values.

TLS

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean, all the x values are for intervals? Usually, when there are two variables, they are x and y, with the x values along the horizontal axis, and the y values along the vertical axis.

If I understand what you're asking, in your example, between x = 0 and x = 1000, the y value is 20. Between x = 1000 and x = 2000, the y value is 30. In the first part of the graph (between 0 and 1000), the graph is a horizontal line, 20 units up from the x axis. In the second part (between 1000 and 2000), the graph is a horizontal line 30 units above the x axis.

What do you mean by, "they used 'prettier' values"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook