How to Eat Cheap/Free - 5 Ideas to Stretch Your Food Budget

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the last tuition bill just came in. It's going to be a tight month, and I need to stretch the food budget. A few ideas include making Wolram soup, free samples at Whole Foods market, happy hour buffet at the bar down the street, avocados from the neighbor's tree that's hanging over the fence, go to some meet and greet nights for campus clubs, and lure in some squirrels. Any other ideas?
turbo-1 said:
You can get a scary-accurate Ruger Model-1 for way less than than and own a rifle that cannot be exceeded.

I like the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, I don't know much about guns I just know I shoot best with that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Oh, wait, can she even open a jar without assistance? She's probably sitting there as we type trying to gnaw open the lid. :biggrin:

She might just sprain her wrist trying!

Evo has to back away from those capers.

Andre said:
No I mean, staying alive indefinitely in the bush. Be sure to take young leafs, those are the best.

They are quite nice stewed with a dressing of mint sauce.

Noone likes my suggestion? I got a free pancake breakfast this morning!

Or become the president of the Graduate Student Association by promoting free diner every friday night. Surely, you'll get all the votes!

NeoDevin said:
Noone likes my suggestion? I got a free pancake breakfast this morning!

Ha your suggestion was great. I know the group you were talking about it. Heck every wednesday I get an amazing free lunch by attending some rounds at the hospital...it has been everything from pasta and salad, to veal and chicken parmesean (sp?) with salad, juice and dessert, to a complete chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy. It is great. And there is always BBQs going on, recruitment dinners, meet the prof nights and whatnot.

scorpa said:
I know the group you were talking about it.

Are you here at the U of A too? WoW is always good for lots of free food!

Pythagorean said:
nice gun; are .243 rounds very versatile? I use a .270 myself but it was a hand me down, don't even know the brand name off the top of my head, but I've always liked how versatile it was (for hunting small and medium game and protection from bears all in one gun; never liked the idea of carrying a .22 in bear country).
A great "Alaska" gun is a Ruger Model 1 in .45-70. The commercial cartridges were designed back in the black-powder days, and there is a LOT of room in the cases for extra powder. I have a friend who makes custom loads for a living, and after I did a favor for him he sent me a 50 round case of .45-70s with 450 grain and 500 grain bullets - both tached at 1800 fps. Ouch! Those are the loads that he and his father-in-law take to Alaska to hunt with. The great thing about the Model 1 is that it has a massive falling-block action that can take as much case pressure as you can throw at it.

Of course, I have warning signs on the case and inside the case saying that the bullets can only be used in a Ruger Model 1. If you used those bullets in a Springfield, Marlin, Winchester or other gun, you would explode the gun.

scorpa said:
I like the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, I don't know much about guns I just know I shoot best with that one.
You wouldn't want to make an Alaskan brown bear mad with that peashooter, though. :eek:

Seriously, I like plinking with small-caliber guns, too - I just tend to use larger calibers for hunting and home protection (.45-70 and 10mm auto).

Is it possible to be allergic to lentils? I was up all night throwing up. I think it was probably the bacon.

tribdog said:
Is it possible to be allergic to lentils? I was up all night throwing up. I think it was probably the bacon.
If you can eat peas and beans, it probably wasn't the lentils. If the stuff smelled "funny" while cooking, you probably had some bad bacon, though salted, smoked bacon can keep for a pretty long time if it's cured right. Not as long as dried lentils though, that would probably keep nicely for many years under dry conditions. To me, boiling lentils smell mild and slightly sweet (sweeter than most dried beans, anyway) and not as strong as peas.

I had heartburn all night, then at about 4am my mouth started watering. I threw up for about half an hour and I feel okay now. I think I'm going to go back to bed though.

To OP: I don't know if this was in here anywhere, as I have not read all replies. My mom cook a mean Pot-O-Marinara sauce (she's Italian thank God!). Aside from the delicious goodness of the sauce itself, there are meatballs and Italian sausages in the sauce as well. This can be made to last for a week...at least. Between countless servings of Spaghetti, there can be meatball sandwiches, sausage sandwiches for lunches. You can even take some of the sauce and meat and put it into zipoc bags and freeze them for later.

Anything that can be made to stretch into multiple meals. How about a chicken? Throw some oil, garlic, an onion in a pan and roast the chicken. Drumsticks one night, chicken sandwiches for lunch the next day, chicken salad the next night!

I am sooooo hungry right now! :smile:

I think it was likely the meat trib. I don't think you could eat bad lintels without knowing it right away and I've never known anyone to puke their guts out over bad veggies of any sort.

I'm pretty sure it was too. I just cooked some more lentils without the bacon. I'll let you know in about 8 hours whether that solves the problem.

I should have known better than to get anything called bits and pieces from a Mexican grocery store. I think Mexicans have a stronger stomach than I do. I don't know if this is because they are used to stuff that has "turned" a little bit, or if it is the fact that they eat parts of animals I never thought of as edible. Or if it is the jalepenos.

I just made three meals worth of spaghetti this morning using two italian sausages that I had frozen in the freezer for flavour. I used a jar 'vodka sauce' that I bought at the store for maybe a couple dollars and only a relatively small ration of the pasta I keep on hand. The tray of sausage I think only cost about five or six dollars for six links. I even used some olive oil and fresh garlic cloves to cook the sausage before adding the sauce. All in all it probably only cost about two bucks per meal unless you count what ever bottled water or soda I might drink with it.

Chicken is a good choice, Casey. Roast chicken is good. Then strip the meat off (as much as you can) break the large bones, and boil the carcass. The resultant stock can be used as a base for home-made soups or as the liquid in which to steam some rice, or other dishes in which some nice chicken stock would add a flair.

tribdog said:
I should have known better than to get anything called bits and pieces from a Mexican grocery store. I think Mexicans have a stronger stomach than I do. I don't know if this is because they are used to stuff that has "turned" a little bit, or if it is the fact that they eat parts of animals I never thought of as edible. Or if it is the jalepenos.
I'm generally suspicious of anything in a hole in the wall market. There's a large sized grocery just down the street from my place here in 'the hood'. I went to look at their frozen meats selection and found they kept it in an open freezer bin. The smell of it reminded me of the morgue at the animal hospital I used to work at. Suffice it to say I walked away pretty quickly. The milk I bought turned out ok. Lasted a few weeks. The eggs didn't fair so well but were fine for the most part.

I also drank one of those energy drinks that has alcohol in it. It's always possible that had something to do with me feeling sick. It was absolutely horrible. It has wormwood oil in it. I thought wormwood was poisonous.

tribdog said:
I also drank one of those energy drinks that has alcohol in it. It's always possible that had something to do with me feeling sick. It was absolutely horrible. It has wormwood oil in it. I thought wormwood was poisonous.

Lol... What?! Are they making absinthe energy drinks now?
I've drank 'Sparks' and 'Joose' and neither have effected badly. I've seen some others but haven't been inclined to try them since they look more like simple malt liquor with caffeine and such added.

that's why I bought it. I read an article on absinthe once. this stuff is called four maxed. it's 10% alcohol. Very very bitter. I think the bitterness is from the wormwood. I don't know why I think that, but its as good a guess as any.

I've discovered the fast food "dollar" menu. It's not great food, but cheap and convenient.

That's interesting. I may have to look for that.

From what I have been told wormwood is poisonous in large doses. This is supposedly why 'real' absinthe was illegalized in the states but apparently that changed just recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_absinthium

HA! Apparently it is commonly used as a stomach medicine.

I drink alcohol with energy somewhat often. Depends how much money I have in my wallet. Only those in shot format and I'll do like 3 in a row and that keeps me up. (Normally do it if I didn't sleep the night before.)

I remember my buddy tried it with me but then he woke up with heart pain in the morning and never drank it again.

Normally, my preferred shot is called an Uppercut. It's my favourite. Unfortunately, most bars have no idea what it is.

so what is it?

TheStatutoryApe said:
HA! Apparently it is commonly used as a stomach medicine.

that's funny. I don't recommend this stuff. It doesn't taste good.

10% alcohol doesn't take long to give you a pretty good buzz though.

What are lentils? I'm sitting here eating them and I don't even know what they are. Can I plant a lentil and grow a lentil tree?
I didn't get much sleep last night. I'm going to take a nap. I'd appreciate it if some people would reply to some threads. I'm getting tired of hitting my refresh waiting for someone to say something so I can reply.

Last edited:
I'd guess the wormwood made you ill over anything else. Whatever is in it in large doses to be poisonous obviously doesn't agree with you in small doses.

tribdog said:
What are lentils? I'm sitting here eating them and I don't even know what they are. Can I plant a lentil and grow a lentil tree?

They're a legume, a bit like peas, or beans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil

Legume! I was trying to think of that word when I responded earlier but couldn't. Thank you for reminding me.

I hate lentils, I even hated the movie Yentl, cause it sounded like lentil.

hypatia said:
I hate lentils, I even hated the movie Yentl, cause it sounded like lentil.
That's just mental. The movie is trancendental. Be gentle and get it again from the rental. As for the lentil, one cent'll get you ten your problem is dental.

jimmysnyder said:
That's just mental. The movie is trancendental. Be gentle and get it again from the rental. As for the lentil, one cent'll get you ten your problem is dental.

hahaha. why must you torment poor hypatia.

And did you seriously judge a movie based on the sound of the title? Thats a tad extreme!

Back