How to enable my PC for Wireless Internet Connection ?

In summary, to set up a wireless network, you will need an 802.11b or 802.11a wireless network card, which can cost around $50. If you want to create your own network, you will also need a base station/hub/router, which can cost around $100. These devices will allow you to access most existing wireless networks. Additionally, for faster speeds, you can consider the new 802.11g standard, although it may be more expensive. It is also important to secure your wireless transmitter to avoid unauthorized access.
Saint
What hardware do i need to buy ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
An 802.11b or 802.11a wireless network card -- PCMCIA for a laptop, PCI for a desktop. Around $50. That'll allow you to log on to most existing wireless networks (there's a new standard just now coming out, 802.11g I think, faster but more expensive.) If you want to set up a network yourself, you also need a base station/hub/router, which'll run $100, maybe less.

is it capable of broadband internet ?

Yes and the speed is great contrary to what a lot of people say. I have a wireless network at home with a desktop and two laptops and I will tell you I love it. Buy linksys, they are the best. Get USB network adapters too. They rock!

Originally posted by damgo
An 802.11b or 802.11a
And the new 802.11G. 54mb. I just got one a month ago. Its great.

Yeah, I used to get wireless access from my, uh, friends across the street. :wink: They had a cable modem, and I could easily get 80 kb/sec even from next door.

[Word to the wise: make sure you secure your wireless transmitter! They usually come preconfigured to be open to the public!]

Yeah, a buddy of mine canceled his cable subscription because he's able to share with a "friend" of his.

1. What hardware do I need to enable my PC for wireless internet connection?

To enable your PC for wireless internet connection, you will need a wireless network adapter. This can be in the form of a USB adapter, a PCI card, or a built-in adapter on your laptop. Additionally, you will need a wireless router to create a wireless network.

2. How do I install a wireless network adapter on my PC?

The installation process for a wireless network adapter may vary depending on the specific model and brand. Generally, you will need to insert the adapter into a USB port or a PCI slot on your PC, and then install any necessary drivers and software provided by the manufacturer. Follow the instructions provided with your adapter for proper installation.

3. What is the difference between a wireless network adapter and a wireless router?

A wireless network adapter is a device that enables your PC to connect to a wireless network. It is typically a small USB or PCI device that receives and transmits wireless signals. On the other hand, a wireless router is a device that creates a wireless network by connecting to your internet modem and broadcasting a wireless signal for devices to connect to.

4. Can I enable my PC for wireless internet connection if I don't have a built-in adapter?

Yes, you can still enable your PC for wireless internet connection even if you do not have a built-in adapter. As mentioned before, you will need to purchase a separate wireless network adapter, such as a USB adapter or a PCI card, and install it on your PC.

5. How do I connect my PC to a wireless network?

Once you have a wireless network adapter installed on your PC, you can connect to a wireless network by going to your computer's network settings and selecting the wireless network you want to connect to. You will need to enter the network's password if it is a secured network. Alternatively, you can also connect to a wireless network by using the network name and password provided by the network's owner.