1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to express particle momentum in [rad]

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I need to use the output of a simulation code in another code who accepts totally different format for data.
    Now, the file I have has 5 column with positions and momenta of a certain number of particles (momenta are dimensionless - normalized to electron mass times c (light speed) )
    The other code wants momenta expressed in [rad] but I don't know how to convert them...
    COuld you help me?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is a momentum expressed in rad? Is that some angle of the flight direction?
    You'll have to check the documentation how that angle and other parameters are defined.

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3
    Documentation is very poor.
    Anyway I think I have to evaluate it in this way:

arcosin (ModulusP/py)

5. Oct 9, 2013 #4
    There's not enough information here to be sure, but rad might mean radians, which are used as units of rapidity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapidity

Are you working with highly relativistic particles?

6. Oct 9, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is not rapidity.

cos-1(|p|/py) is already in rads/ That is, |p|/py is already dimensionless.

7. Oct 10, 2013 #6
    Yes, I think this is the way.
    But now I have another problem: 3rd component of momenta is defined as Dp/pn (n = particle numeber).
    But it is not very clear in the documentation how Dp is defined.
    I think it is the average momentum - pn, but in this way I have an error message saying gamma < 1...

This is making me crazy...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook