1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to extract sulfur from ground water

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    Will boiling ground water that contains sulfur produce a yellow sulfur residue.

Thanks,
    --Keith

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It can. This doesn't mean that a yellow residue implies sulfur.

4. Feb 25, 2005 #3
    The ground water had a bad odor and I was told that it was produced from sulfur in the water. I guess the question is weather the sulfur boils away with the water and, if not, how much water would need to be boiled away to produce a noticeable amount of sulfur. My son had this question at school and the teacher was unable to answer and suggested that he investigate and report back to her. Thanks for the help. --Robert

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bad odor implies hydrogen sulfide, plus other sulfur compounds (if you're really interested, I can point you at some references on sulfur chemistry --- it ain't trivial). Boiling aqueous solutions of sulfides in air is a very mild oxidizing set of conditions that will oxidize sulfide to elemental sulfur (compared to boiling elemental sulfur in water under anaerobic conditions to get hydrogen sulfide). It's not adequate for treatment to produce potable water, nor can it be distilled too successfully, the hydrogen sulfide boils off and condenses with the water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?