How to figure out what major I want to do the most: Engineerings/Physics

In summary, the individual is a freshman in college and is struggling to choose a major. They have a strong interest in math, physics, computer science, economics, biology, and chemistry, and are considering chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics as potential majors. They are currently taking introductory courses in these fields and are also interested in pursuing a career in industry or entrepreneurship. To make a decision, they plan to speak with current students and professors, consider their career goals, and possibly take a career aptitude test or gain firsthand experience through internships or research opportunities. Ultimately, they will need to weigh their interests, skills, and aspirations to make the best choice for themselves.
Airman
I'm currently a freshman in college and I can't decide on a major. I absolutely love math and physics, as well as computer science, economics, biology, and chemistry. I got 44 credits from AP classes so I'm taking several higher level classes and I need to decide soon on my major. I'd say the 4 majors I'm considering the most are chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics, but those aren't the only options. To help me decide I'm taking the intro courses to Chem Eng, ME, and Physics this semester and I'll be taking the intro to EE next semester. However, I still have the "problem" in that I'm really good at all of them and I really enjoy all of them. What more can I do to figure out what I want to do?

Also as for after college, I used to wonder whether I wanted to go on for a higher degree and do research, but now I'm mostly leaning towards going into industry. I'm also interested in a more entrepreneurial type of job, but again I'm undecided here also. Any comments or experience would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Having the opportunity to take introductory courses in all these different fields is a great way to start. It can also be helpful to talk to current students and professors in the departments to get a better sense of what these majors involve and which one might be the best fit for you. It's also important to think about your career goals and which major would provide the best preparation. You might consider speaking to a career counselor or taking a career aptitude test to help you narrow down your options. Additionally, you might find it useful to look into internships or research opportunities in each field to gain more firsthand knowledge. Ultimately, it's up to you to make the decision that feels right for you, so try to take into account your interests, skills, and aspirations as you make your choice. Best of luck!

What factors should I consider when choosing between engineering and physics as a major?

When deciding between engineering and physics, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Both fields involve problem-solving and critical thinking, but engineering tends to be more practical and applied, while physics is more theoretical. Additionally, consider the specific subfields within each major and what type of work you would enjoy the most.

How can I explore the different engineering and physics majors to determine which one is the best fit for me?

There are several ways to explore engineering and physics majors. You can speak to academic advisors and professors, attend departmental events and workshops, and take introductory courses in both fields. Additionally, consider doing internships or research projects in each field to gain hands-on experience and a better understanding of what each major entails.

What are the job prospects for graduates with a degree in engineering or physics?

Both engineering and physics degrees can lead to a wide range of job opportunities. Graduates with engineering degrees often work in industries such as aerospace, biotechnology, and computer science, while physics graduates can pursue careers in research, education, and technology. Both fields offer competitive salaries and job growth potential.

Is it possible to double major in engineering and physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in engineering and physics. However, it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to speak with academic advisors to ensure that the courses for both majors can be completed within the required timeframe. Additionally, consider if a double major aligns with your career goals and if it is worth the extra time and effort.

Are there any resources available to help me make a decision between engineering and physics majors?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you make a decision between engineering and physics majors. Your college or university may have career services or academic advising offices that can provide guidance and resources. Additionally, there are online tools and assessments that can help you explore your interests and strengths and match them with potential majors and careers in engineering and physics.