How to figure out which deal on Soap is the best?

In summary: Just remember to always compare the ratios of the amount of product you are getting for the price in order to determine the better deal. In summary, the conversation discusses how to properly compare grocery flyer deals by calculating the ratio of the amount of product to the price. Both deals mentioned, 2, 120 gram bars of soap for $2 and 2, 90 gram bars of soap for $1.50, have the same ratio of 60 grams per dollar. The conversation also clarifies that the size of the bar or the number of bars in a package does not affect the outcome.
Embison
2, 120 gram bars of soap for $2

or...

2, 90 gram bars of soap for $1.50

Can someone explain the method to figure it out so I can properly compare grocery flyer deals in the future?

thank you for any help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Computer how much money for each gram, for each deal.

Both of those deals are exactly the same.

Check the ratio of the grams of soap you are getting for the amount of money.

First one:

[tex]
\frac{120g}{\$2} = \frac{60g}{\$}
[/tex]

So we have 60 grams per dollar for the soap.

Second one:

[tex]
\frac{90g}{\$1.50} = \frac{60g}{\$}
[/tex]

So, again we got 60 grams of soap per dollar.

In this case, do you prefer to pay $3 or $4 and do you want a larger bar or soap or a smaller one? The actual pricing ratio is exactly the same in both scenarios.

If you want to work out which deal is the best on some coupon flyer or whatever, just divide the amount of product (mass/volume or whatever they give you) by the price and you will get a ratio of HOW MUCH / HOW MANY $.

Hope that helps!

Both of those deals are exactly the same.

Check the ratio of the grams of soap you are getting for the amount of money.

First one:

[tex]
\frac{120g}{\$2} = \frac{60g}{\$}
[/tex]

So we have 60 grams per dollar for the soap.

Second one:

[tex]
\frac{90g}{\$1.50} = \frac{60g}{\$}
[/tex]

So, again we got 60 grams of soap per dollar.

In this case, do you prefer to pay $3 or $4 and do you want a larger bar or soap or a smaller one? The actual pricing ratio is exactly the same in both scenarios.

If you want to work out which deal is the best on some coupon flyer or whatever, just divide the amount of product (mass/volume or whatever they give you) by the price and you will get a ratio of HOW MUCH / HOW MANY $.

Hope that helps!

That was amazingly helpful Caramon...Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly explain it to me!

Im not sure if this makes a difference to the outcome... But I noticed that you mentioned $3 and $4. But in my original post I mentioned that 2 bars of soap are in each box. So 2 bars of 120 gram Soaps in 1 box for $2. Or 2 bars of 90 gram Soaps in 1 box for 1.50.

Oh no it doesn't. Sorry I thought you meant 1 bar of 120g soap costs $2 and you want 2 of them, so that would be $4.

Yeah, that doesn't affect anything. Just follow the ratios and you'll be fine! :D

Caramon said:
Oh no it doesn't. Sorry I thought you meant 1 bar of 120g soap costs $2 and you want 2 of them, so that would be $4.

Yeah, that doesn't affect anything. Just follow the ratios and you'll be fine! :D

LoL nope I mean...

1 package of Soap contains 2 bars of Soap in it. Each bar of Soap is 120 grams in one of the packages and it costs $2 for the package ($1 for each bar of Soap but you have to buy them together in 1 package of 2 bars of Soap)...And the same thing with the other package of 90 gram bars of Soap.

Yes, I understand that now. Hopefully that helped.

1. How do I compare deals on soap?

To figure out which deal on soap is the best, you can start by comparing the price per unit or per ounce. This will help you determine which deal is offering the most soap for your money. You can also consider the brand, type of soap, and any additional features or benefits included in the deal.

2. Should I buy in bulk to get the best deal on soap?

Buying in bulk can be a great way to save money on soap, but it's important to compare the price per unit to smaller packages. Sometimes, smaller packages may actually be a better deal. Additionally, consider if you will actually use all the soap before it expires or if it will just end up going to waste.

3. Are there any hidden costs to consider when comparing soap deals?

When comparing deals on soap, be sure to read the fine print and consider any additional costs, such as shipping or handling fees. Also, be aware of any minimum purchase requirements or membership fees that may be associated with certain deals.

4. What other factors should I consider when choosing the best soap deal?

Aside from price, consider the quality and effectiveness of the soap. Read reviews from other customers and research the ingredients to make sure the soap will meet your needs. You may also want to consider the environmental impact of the soap and if it aligns with your values.

5. Is it better to wait for a sale or use coupons to get the best deal on soap?

This depends on the specific deals and coupons available. Sometimes, waiting for a sale may result in a better deal, but other times using a coupon or taking advantage of a limited time offer may be the best option. It's important to weigh the options and choose the deal that offers the most value for your money.