1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to figure out which deal on Soap is the best?

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    2, 120 gram bars of soap for $2

or.....

2, 90 gram bars of soap for $1.50

Can someone explain the method to figure it out so I can properly compare grocery flyer deals in the future?

thank you for any help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Computer how much money for each gram, for each deal.

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    Both of those deals are exactly the same.

Check the ratio of the grams of soap you are getting for the amount of money.

First one:

[tex]
    \frac{120g}{\$2} = \frac{60g}{\$}
    [/tex]

So we have 60 grams per dollar for the soap.

Second one:

[tex]
    \frac{90g}{\$1.50} = \frac{60g}{\$}
    [/tex]

So, again we got 60 grams of soap per dollar.

In this case, do you prefer to pay $3 or $4 and do you want a larger bar or soap or a smaller one? The actual pricing ratio is exactly the same in both scenarios.

If you want to work out which deal is the best on some coupon flyer or whatever, just divide the amount of product (mass/volume or whatever they give you) by the price and you will get a ratio of HOW MUCH / HOW MANY $.

Hope that helps!

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4
    Both of those deals are exactly the same.

Check the ratio of the grams of soap you are getting for the amount of money.

First one:

[tex]
    \frac{120g}{\$2} = \frac{60g}{\$}
    [/tex]

So we have 60 grams per dollar for the soap.

Second one:

[tex]
    \frac{90g}{\$1.50} = \frac{60g}{\$}
    [/tex]

So, again we got 60 grams of soap per dollar.

In this case, do you prefer to pay $3 or $4 and do you want a larger bar or soap or a smaller one? The actual pricing ratio is exactly the same in both scenarios.

If you want to work out which deal is the best on some coupon flyer or whatever, just divide the amount of product (mass/volume or whatever they give you) by the price and you will get a ratio of HOW MUCH / HOW MANY $.

Hope that helps!

6. Sep 10, 2011 #5
    That was amazingly helpful Caramon...Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly explain it to me!

7. Sep 10, 2011 #6
    Im not sure if this makes a difference to the outcome... But I noticed that you mentioned $3 and $4. But in my original post I mentioned that 2 bars of soap are in each box. So 2 bars of 120 gram Soaps in 1 box for $2. Or 2 bars of 90 gram Soaps in 1 box for 1.50.

8. Sep 10, 2011 #7
    Oh no it doesn't. Sorry I thought you meant 1 bar of 120g soap costs $2 and you want 2 of them, so that would be $4.

Yeah, that doesn't affect anything. Just follow the ratios and you'll be fine! :D

9. Sep 10, 2011 #8
    LoL nope I mean......

1 package of Soap contains 2 bars of Soap in it. Each bar of Soap is 120 grams in one of the packages and it costs $2 for the package ($1 for each bar of Soap but you have to buy them together in 1 package of 2 bars of Soap)...And the same thing with the other package of 90 gram bars of Soap.

10. Sep 10, 2011 #9
    Yes, I understand that now. Hopefully that helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook