1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to figure wavelength

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    it's stated that 2.5meters separated a trough and an adjacent crest of surfae wave on a lke.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought if the trough to th crest is 2.5meters then i would double that to get the wavelenght from crest to crest. But then when I drew another wave picture, the 2.5 can be the amplitude? so that would make me taking half of the 2.5meters instead?? I think my problrm is not understanding what that statmnt is trying to say. I'm unsure if I would multiply 2.5m by two or divide by half. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's how I interpreted the problem statement: The horizontal separation between trough and adjacent crest is 2.5 m. (But I admit that it is ambiguous.)

If 2.5 m is the vertical separation between those two points, then you would not be able to find the wavelength (which is what you are asked to find, right?).

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    yes, when i first read it, i thought i should double the 2.5m., but in the statemnt is it referrring it has a standing wave or regular wave? am i thinking too much into the problem? is it as simple as it sounds? =x
    but you know, you are right, if 2.5 is the vertical separation between the two, I dont think i can find the wavelenght. so go with the first idea?
    thank you for the help.

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

6. Feb 7, 2009 #5
    =) thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook