Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to fill the void left by GEB

1. May 14, 2016 #1
    Since I read godel escher bach I've been trying to find something that will blow me away in the same way as this book did. By far the most entertaining, enlightening book I've ever read.
    Anyone else feel the same way? Can you recommend something comparable?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2016 #2
    Read it again. Take notes this time. :p

4. May 14, 2016 #3
    Read a topology book?
    It allows for some funny stuff to imagine (go 2n times around to reach the same point, go 2n+1 times around and be somewhere new is an example).

5. May 14, 2016 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

To the OP:

Have you read any of the other books by Douglas Hofstadter? He's written many other books after GEB. For example,

1. Le Ton beau de Marot: In Praise of the Music Language (1997)
    2. I am a Strange Loop (2007)

Book #2 seems especially connected, at least from what I've heard, to GEB.

If you're interested in other authors with similarly eclectic interests, why not consider the book Infinite and the Mind, by Rudy Rucker, which deals with a number of similar themes to GED.

6. May 15, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why not actually try to study the mathematics of Gödel and the geometries that appear in Escher?

7. May 16, 2016 #6
    thanks statguy I'll definitely check those out :)
    on studying the maths instead, well I've already got a few extracurricular maths books I'm working on so I need something more readable

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted