How to filter out blue light?

In summary, the person needs to filter out blue light for their experiments and is considering using an orange coating on light bulbs or a screen around them. They are looking for a way to filter out as much blue light as possible, around 99%, and are wondering if orange light bulbs or party lights from hardware stores will effectively block blue light. They also mention the option of using amber filters, which are commonly used for safety with Argon-ion lasers and effectively block blue and green light. They suggest contacting a filter manufacturer for more specific advice.
aegimius
For some experiments I need to be able to filter out blue light with either special light bulbs or a screen around the bulbs. It seems an orange coating on the bulb or an orange screen around the bulbs will do the trick, but I need to filter out as much blue light as possible. Something like 99% would be good.

Will an orange light bulb do the trick, to filter out blue light produced by the burning filament? How can I tell, any specifications to look for when it comes to orange light bulbs, or any inexpensive way to test the wave lengths of the light going through the orange filter or coating? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
aegimius said:
For some experiments I need to be able to filter out blue light with either special light bulbs or a screen around the bulbs. It seems an orange coating on the bulb or an orange screen around the bulbs will do the trick, but I need to filter out as much blue light as possible. Something like 99% would be good.

Will an orange light bulb do the trick, to filter out blue light produced by the burning filament? How can I tell, any specifications to look for when it comes to orange light bulbs, or any inexpensive way to test the wave lengths of the light going through the orange filter or coating? Thanks.

You need to be more specific about the spectral response. Is it OK if you also filter green and UV light? There is a commonly available amber colored filter used in safety glasses for Argon-ion lasers. It is similar to that material used in blue-blocking sunglasses. It works very well but also blocks green and UV light.

This site might have some different options to consider.

http://rosco.com/canada/filters/permacolor.asp

elect_eng said:
You need to be more specific about the spectral response. Is it OK if you also filter green and UV light? There is a commonly available amber colored filter used in safety glasses for Argon-ion lasers. It is similar to that material used in blue-blocking sunglasses. It works very well but also blocks green and UV light.

This site might have some different options to consider.

http://rosco.com/canada/filters/permacolor.asp

Thanks for the link. No, it doesn't have to filter out green, and I would prefer it doesn't. It only has to block blue. As far as UV goes, it would be nice to block most if not all UV, but it's not necessary for what I am doing at this point. Do those orange color coated "party light" bulbs they sell at hardware stores or Home Depot effectively filter out blue light? I appreciate your help.

aegimius said:
Thanks for the link. No, it doesn't have to filter out green, and I would prefer it doesn't. It only has to block blue. As far as UV goes, it would be nice to block most if not all UV, but it's not necessary for what I am doing at this point. Do those orange color coated "party light" bulbs they sell at hardware stores or Home Depot effectively filter out blue light? I appreciate your help.

Honestly, I have no idea what those party lights are, so I can't say if any blue gets through. I know that the amber filters block effectively all blue and most green light. I can say this because I've used them for safety when using Argon-ion lasers. A 6 W Argon laser with all blue and green lines lasing is completely invisible through the amber filter. Given the sensitivity of the human eye, this means that effectively all blue and green light is blocked by this material. I'm pretty sure this material blocks most UV light as well because you will see it used as protection on UV lamps.

If you must pass green light and block blue and UV only, I'd suggest calling a filter manufacturer for advice. However, if the Argon-filter is acceptable, then you can find this material very easily in optics catalogs, or buy a cheap pair of amber sunglasses.

There are a few ways you can filter out blue light for your experiments. One option is to use a specialized light bulb that emits only specific wavelengths of light, such as a red or orange bulb. You can also use a screen or filter around the bulbs to block out blue light.

To ensure that you are filtering out as much blue light as possible, you can look for light bulbs or filters that have a high percentage of blue light blocking capability, such as 99%. This information should be listed on the product specifications or packaging.

If you want to test the wavelengths of light going through the filter or coating, you can use a spectrophotometer. This device measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths and can help you determine the effectiveness of your filter.

Another option is to use a colorimeter, which can measure the color of light and help you determine if the blue light is being effectively filtered out.

It is also important to consider the cost and accessibility of these methods. While specialized light bulbs and filters may be more expensive, they may be necessary for precise experiments. However, you can also try using a cheaper option such as a piece of orange cellophane or plastic wrap as a filter.

Overall, the most important factor is to carefully research and test different methods to find the most effective and affordable solution for filtering out blue light for your experiments.

1. How does blue light affect our eyes?

Blue light is a high-energy, short-wavelength light that is emitted from electronic devices and artificial lighting. Extended exposure to blue light can cause eye strain, fatigue, and headaches. It may also disrupt our sleep patterns and increase the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.

2. What are some ways to reduce blue light exposure?

One effective way to reduce blue light exposure is to use blue light filtering glasses or screen protectors. These products block a significant portion of blue light emitted from electronic devices. Another way is to adjust the display settings on devices to reduce the amount of blue light emitted.

3. How does a blue light filter work?

A blue light filter is a type of screen overlay or lens coating that blocks out blue light from electronic devices. It works by selectively filtering out blue light wavelengths, allowing only non-harmful colors to pass through. This reduces the amount of blue light that reaches our eyes and helps protect them from potential damage.

4. Are there any negative effects of using blue light filters?

While blue light filters can be beneficial for reducing eye strain and fatigue, they may also affect the color accuracy and brightness of electronic device screens. This can be especially noticeable for graphic designers or photographers who require precise color representation.

5. Can blue light filters completely protect our eyes?

Blue light filters can significantly reduce the amount of blue light that reaches our eyes, but they cannot completely protect us from all blue light exposure. Some studies suggest that blue light during the daytime can actually have positive effects on our circadian rhythm and mood. Therefore, it is important to use blue light filters in moderation and during appropriate times, such as in the evening before bed.