1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find angular momentum for spin 2 particle?

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    My problem is with finding total angular momentum S of a spin 2 particles. My quantum book doesn't do any examples with spin 2 particles do i just do
    J(J+1)|j,m> and just plug in j and that will be my value. By the way my book likes to skip a lot of steps so can someone explain how to do this.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2005 #2
    Ok it is how you do it. does anyone know how to figure out Sz
  4. May 31, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,total angular momentum is spin+orbital and is traditionally denoted by "J".For spin 2 particles,the "s" is "2",while the "m_s" can take 5 possible values.

P.S.And,please,DO NOT double post.It so much annoys me to see things double. :grumpy: It's like i was drunk.
    Last edited: May 31, 2005
  5. May 31, 2005 #4
    Ok I will do. I realized that no one in high school will be doing quantum in high school for a long time. so I had to change to college level. Thanks again so from what your saying S_z will have 5 different Values since M_s for a spin 2 has 5 values makes sense to me for a spin 1/2 it has 2 spin1 it has 3. Had an Idea just wanted someone to say your right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?