Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to find angular momentum for spin 2 particle?

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    My problem is with finding total angular momentum S of a spin 2 particles. My quantum book doesn't do any examples with spin 2 particles do i just do
    J(J+1)|j,m> and just plug in j and that will be my value. By the way my book likes to skip a lot of steps so can someone explain how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2005 #2
    Ok it is how you do it. does anyone know how to figure out Sz

4. May 31, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,total angular momentum is spin+orbital and is traditionally denoted by "J".For spin 2 particles,the "s" is "2",while the "m_s" can take 5 possible values.

Daniel.

P.S.And,please,DO NOT double post.It so much annoys me to see things double. :grumpy: It's like i was drunk.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  5. May 31, 2005 #4
    Ok I will do. I realized that no one in high school will be doing quantum in high school for a long time. so I had to change to college level. Thanks again so from what your saying S_z will have 5 different Values since M_s for a spin 2 has 5 values makes sense to me for a spin 1/2 it has 2 spin1 it has 3. Had an Idea just wanted someone to say your right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook