Calculating Angular Momentum: Converting Units and Solving for Mass and Velocity

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about calculating a train's angular momentum using metric units, specifically with regards to the direction of the train's movement and the accuracy of rounding in the final answer. The group came to the conclusion that the assumption made about the direction of the train's movement was correct and the rounding may have affected the accuracy of the answer.
Sneakatone
I used kg*m/s*m

so 1500 metric tons=1500000 kg
85 km/h=23.61 m/s

( 1500000 )*23.61*53=1.877x10^9 kg*m^2/s

I feel like this is correct.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-16 at 6.19.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-16 at 6.19.21 PM.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
1.877 x 10^9 kg*m^2/s looks right. Perhaps there's an issue with your rounding of the answer.

I agree with you. Maybe because you rounded down, they didn't give the mark? The one other thing that it might be, is that they don't actually say which direction the train is moving in. They just say where the point is in relation to the track. The natural assumption is to do as you did, and assume they mean that if the point is 'to the left' of the train, then that means someone who is facing forward on the train will see the point on their left. But there is an ambiguity here. Maybe they took it to be the other way around.

I origionally put 1.8 instead of 1.877 but your right, thanks!

BruceW said:
I agree with you. Maybe because you rounded down, they didn't give the mark? The one other thing that it might be, is that they don't actually say which direction the train is moving in. They just say where the point is in relation to the track. The natural assumption is to do as you did, and assume they mean that if the point is 'to the left' of the train, then that means someone who is facing forward on the train will see the point on their left. But there is an ambiguity here. Maybe they took it to be the other way around.

The direction "upwards" for the angular momentum vector was marked correct, so it looks like the assumption panned out.

oh yeah. good, good.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion or spin. It takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from its axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. Moment of inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if an object or system experiences a change in angular velocity, there must be an equal and opposite change in the moment of inertia.

4. How does angular momentum relate to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is directly related to rotational motion as it is a measure of an object's rotational energy. The greater an object's angular momentum, the more energy it has to maintain its rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular momentum?

Angular momentum has many practical applications, such as in the design and control of satellites and spacecraft, the stabilization of gyroscopes, and the physics of figure skating and ice hockey. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular structures, as well as in the development of renewable energy sources like wind turbines.