How Do You Find Automorphism in a Group G?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
In summary, an automorphism of a group G is a bijective homomorphism from the group G to itself. The method for proving an automorphism is the same as proving an isomorphism, by showing that the function has all the properties of an automorphism. The set of all automorphisms on a group G is denoted as Aut(G). There can be multiple automorphisms for a given group. To find an automorphism, the conditions that the automorphism must have should be written down and tested. A function from G to H does not belong to either G or H, it is a mapping from one set to the other. Therefore, it cannot be used to prove problems.
semidevil
So an automorphism is a group G to itself.

So how do you prove that in general? Is it the same to proving an isomorphism?

So suppose they ask to find Aut(Z). what do I do?

Z is all the ingegers, from 1 to n...so how do prove that?

how do i start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your sentences sound a bit confused, making it unclear as to what you are asking.

semidevil said:
So an automorphism is a group G to itself.
An automorphism of a group G is a bijective homomorphism from the group G to itself.

So how do you prove that in general? Is it the same to proving an isomorphism?
What is there to prove? That is simply the definition of an automorphism.
If you are given a function and you wish to prove it is an automorphism, just see if it has all the properties of an automorphism.
So suppose they ask to find Aut(Z). what do I do?
Ok, so Aut(Z) is the set of all automorphisms on Z (the integers).
I don't think there's a general way to approach these kind of problems, but in any case: write down the conditions these automorphisms must have.
The trivial automorphism f(x)=x is one. I have a gut feeling it's also the only one. So see if you can try to prove that.

An automorphism of a group G is just an isomorphism from G to itself. Just do the same thing you do with isomorphisms, that is show that the automorphism is 1-1, onto, and preserves operation.

Obviously there exists an isomorphism between a group and itself so you needen't prove that, secondly there is only one isomorphism between a group and itself (cleraly an automorphism maps I to I, therefore for any given a: a*I = a'*I therefore a = a' for all a in any given group)

Galileo said:
Ok, so Aut(Z) is the set of all automorphisms on Z (the integers).
I don't think there's a general way to approach these kind of problems, but in any case: write down the conditions these automorphisms must have.
The trivial automorphism f(x)=x is one. I have a gut feeling it's also the only one. So see if you can try to prove that.

I'd have thought f(x)= -x is a automorphism from Z to Z. But given what has been said here I have tried to figure out why it isn't one, but with no sucess... :confused:

I have another question.

When people say to "find a function that maps from G to H(the first step to proving isomorphism)", does it mean to find a function that belongs to both G and H. like, if I want to find an isomorphism from integers to even integers, I can use 2x, because 2x belongs to even integers, and also the integers. Is that pretty much what I am doing here?

I'm asking, because I need to do a lot of proof, and can I use that statement to prove problems(if it is true). It's just that if I start out wiht this statement, everything seems to fall into place, so just want to make sure I'm not messing with the logic...

jcsd said:
Obviously there exists an isomorphism between a group and itself so you needen't prove that, secondly there is only one isomorphism between a group and itself (cleraly an automorphism maps I to I, therefore for any given a: a*I = a'*I therefore a = a' for all a in any given group)

NO! there are (potentially) many automorphisms for every group.

I'm not sure if it's a language thing or an understanding thing, but a function from G to H doesn't belong to either G or H.

A function is a mapping from one set to the other.

matt grime said:
NO! there are (potentially) many automorphisms for every group.

What's wrong with my reasoning? Actually I think I've seen it, due to sloppy notation I haven't proved that a' = a, I've proved a' = a'.

Well it produces an answer that is wrong for a start, and sicne in your reasoning you didn't at any point use an isomorphism or even a homomorphism then you should have cause to think.

You appear to be saying that an automorphism satisfies:

f(ab)=af(b) and since f(1)=1 it uniquely determines the map as the identity map. Well, that isn't the definition of an automorphism, or even homomorphism.

Let G be any non-abelian group. Let x be any element not in centre of G (such exist as it is not abelian). Then the map G to G, given by f(y)=xyx^{-1} is an automorphism that is not the identity automorphism (or x would commute with all elements #).

x maps to x^{-1} is also a non-trivial automorphism for almost any abelian group (which is trivial iff every element has order dividing 2, admittedly).

Last edited:
What I did wrong was to say a*b = f(a)*f(b) when I should of said f(a*b) = f(a)*f(b), therefore if I correce twhat I did all i proved was that f(a) = f(a)

1. How do you define automorphism?

Automorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a symmetry or transformation of a mathematical object that preserves its structure and relationships. In simpler terms, an automorphism is a function that maps a mathematical object onto itself in a way that preserves its characteristics.

2. What is the importance of finding automorphisms?

Finding automorphisms is important in many areas of mathematics, as it helps to identify and understand the symmetry and structure of mathematical objects. It also allows for the simplification and classification of these objects, making them easier to study and analyze.

3. How do you determine if a function is an automorphism?

In order for a function to be considered an automorphism, it must meet two criteria: it must be a bijective (one-to-one and onto) function, and it must preserve the structure and relationships of the mathematical object it is mapping. This means that the function must not change the properties or characteristics of the object.

4. Are there different types of automorphisms?

Yes, there are different types of automorphisms, depending on the type of mathematical object being studied. For example, in group theory, there are inner automorphisms, which are defined by elements within the group, and outer automorphisms, which are defined by elements outside of the group. In graph theory, there are also automorphisms, which are defined by the symmetries of a graph.

5. What techniques can be used to find automorphisms?

There are various techniques that can be used to find automorphisms, depending on the type of mathematical object being studied. Some common methods include using algebraic techniques such as permutations and matrices, using graph theory to visualize and analyze symmetries, and using group theory to identify and classify automorphisms. Computer algorithms and software programs can also be helpful in finding automorphisms of complex objects.