1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find centre of gravity for a hemisphere shell?

1. May 3, 2005 #1
    How to find centre of gravity for a hemisphere shell??

Can someone show me how to calculate centre of gravity for a hemisphere shell??

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These sound suspiciously like homework problems.

4. May 4, 2005 #3
    It's not homework, I'm preparing for an examination. And I have serious problem solving this assignment. Pleas help me!!

5. May 4, 2005 #4
    Integrate mass density over the surface for each axial direction. As far as I can remember for rectangular coordinates its

[tex] y_{cm} = \int{\rho(x) f(x)dx} [/tex]

[tex] x_{cm} = \int{\rho(x) xf(x)dx} [/tex]

but my memory is probably mistaking me. There should be an example of this in your book though.

6. May 4, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's the hint:use the rotation around Oz symmetry to transform your problem into a very simple one:finding the C of M for a semicircle of radius R.You basically need the "z" coordinate of the C of M for the hemisphere,or the "y" coordinate for the C of M for the semicircle.

Daniel.

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6
    Re: How to find centre of gravity for a hemisphere shell??

The result obtained from integration and your symmetry argument are NOT the same.
    For a semicircular wire, the COM is [tex](0, \frac{2R}{\pi})[/tex] while from integration, it is [tex](0,0,R/2)[/tex]. Can anybody explain this?

8. Dec 24, 2011 #7
    Re: How to find centre of gravity for a hemisphere shell??

I know this is an old post, but I have been struggling with the same problem for a while now , can anyone explain this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?