How to find cos for tan when

• Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Tan
In summary, to find the cos for tan when you know the value of tan, you can use the reciprocal identity for cosine and tangent. You can also use the unit circle and Pythagorean theorem to find the value of cos without a calculator. If the given angle is not a special angle, you can use a calculator or inverse tangent function to find the value of cos. The quotient identity for cosine and tangent can also be used by dividing 1 by the value of tan. Additionally, the cosine function can be used by finding the angle with the inverse cosine function and then using the reciprocal identity.
CrossFit415
How would I find cos for tan when..

Tan b = (-√3)

Theta lies in quadrant iii

Sin b would equal (-√3) / 2

So Cos b would equal -1 / 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
y: -√3
x: 1
r: √2 > from x2 + y2

cos = x/r

Answer: ?

CrossFit415 said:
How would I find cos for tan when..

Tan b = (-√3)

Theta lies in quadrant iii
What does theta have to do with anything? Assuming that you meant b instead of theta, if tan(b) = -√3, then b is in quadrant II or quadrant IV.
CrossFit415 said:
Sin b would equal (-√3) / 2

So Cos b would equal -1 / 2?

1. How do I find cos for tan when I know the value of tan?

To find the cos for tan when you know the value of tan, you can use the reciprocal identity for cosine and tangent. Simply take the value of tan and divide it into 1 to find the value of cos.

2. Can I find cos for tan without using a calculator?

Yes, you can find cos for tan without using a calculator by using the unit circle and the Pythagorean theorem. By finding the adjacent and hypotenuse sides of a right triangle with a given angle, you can use the cosine function to find the value of cos.

3. What if the given angle is not a special angle?

If the given angle is not a special angle (such as 30°, 45°, or 60°), you can use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the value of cos for tan. Alternatively, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle and then use the reciprocal identity to find the value of cos.

4. How do I use the quotient identity to find cos for tan?

The quotient identity for cosine and tangent states that cosθ = 1/tanθ. This means that to find the value of cos for tan, you simply need to divide 1 by the value of tan.

5. Can I use the cosine function to find cos for tan?

Yes, you can use the cosine function to find cos for tan. Since the cosine function is the reciprocal of the tangent function, you can use the inverse cosine function to find the angle and then use the reciprocal identity to find the value of cos.