How to find density of a compund

• Thread starter Iyafrady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the formula for calculating density is density = mass/volume. To measure the mass of a compound, you can use a balance or scale. To measure the volume, you can use a graduated cylinder or displacement method. Any units can be used for mass and volume as long as they are consistent. Density is an important property for identifying and distinguishing between compounds, as well as providing information about their structure and purity.
Iyafrady
I want to find the ensity of NaCl given the atomic weight of Na is 23 and that of Cl is 35.5.The ionic radius are 1A and 1.8A respectively.I foundthevolume of each element to be Vna=4.2A^3 and Vcl=24.4A^3.

V(NaCl)=28.6E-23
MASS(NaCl)=[(23+35.5)g/mole]*(1/avogadros number)=9.7E-23
So D=m/v=(9.7E^-23)/(28.6E-23)=3.39

but this is way off from the listed density of 2.17g/cm^3...dont know what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of space between those spheres, you know...

You have to calculate volume of the unit cell.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your process for finding the density of NaCl. It looks like you have made a small error in your calculations. The volume of NaCl should be the sum of the volumes of Na and Cl, not just the volume of Na. So the correct volume of NaCl should be V(NaCl) = 28.6 A^3 + 24.4 A^3 = 53 A^3. This will change the final density calculation to D = (9.7E-23)/(53E-23) = 0.183 g/cm^3, which is much closer to the listed density of 2.17 g/cm^3.

Additionally, it is important to note that the ionic radii of Na and Cl in NaCl are not relevant to finding the density. The density is determined by the mass and volume of the compound as a whole, not the individual elements.

I hope this helps clarify your calculations. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the formula for calculating density of a compound?

The formula for calculating density is density = mass/volume.

2. How do I measure the mass of a compound?

You can measure the mass of a compound using a balance or scale. Place the compound on the balance and record the reading.

3. How do I measure the volume of a compound?

The volume of a compound can be measured using a graduated cylinder or by displacement method. In the graduated cylinder, you can pour the compound and record the volume reading. In the displacement method, you can measure the volume of water before and after adding the compound to determine the volume of the compound.

4. Can I use any units for mass and volume to calculate density?

Yes, you can use any units for mass and volume as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use grams for mass, you should use cubic centimeters for volume.

5. Why is density an important property of a compound?

Density is an important property because it can help identify and distinguish between different compounds. It can also provide information about the structure and purity of a compound.