How to find Electrons in CN-

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, to make the electron configuration for CN-, you should first learn how to draw Lewis dot diagrams and follow the procedure outlined in your textbook.
salman213
1. Hi, how do we make electron configuration for CN-

like O, is 8 electrons right? from periodic table.

but I have question about CN how do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think they are referring to the valence elctrons?

salman213 said:
1. Hi, how do we make electron configuration for CN-

like O, is 8 electrons right? from periodic table.

but I have question about CN how do I do this?
CN- is a tricky one. I would recommend you first learn how to draw Lewis dot diagrams for simpler molecules/ions before attempting CN-. You need to first know what the procedure is first. Your textbook should cover the steps involved.

Last edited:

What is CN- and why is it important in finding electrons?

CN- is a chemical formula for a compound called cyanide. It is important in finding electrons because it acts as a strong reducing agent, meaning it easily gains electrons from other substances.

How do you determine the number of electrons in CN-?

To determine the number of electrons in CN-, you need to know the atomic number of each element present in the compound. In this case, carbon has 6 electrons and nitrogen has 7 electrons. Since there is a negative charge, one additional electron is added. Therefore, CN- has a total of 14 electrons.

What is the valence electron configuration of CN-?

The valence electron configuration of CN- is 2s2p5. This means that there are two electrons in the s orbital and five electrons in the p orbital in the outermost energy level.

How does CN- behave when it interacts with other substances?

As a strong reducing agent, CN- easily gains electrons from other substances. This is because it has a strong negative charge and is highly reactive. It can also form complex compounds with transition metals.

What techniques can be used to find electrons in CN-?

Some techniques that can be used to find electrons in CN- include spectroscopy, x-ray crystallography, and electron paramagnetic resonance. These techniques allow for the observation and analysis of the electron behavior in CN- and its interactions with other substances.