1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find existence of quantum discord in two qubit state

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I have a following problem. For a three-qubit state i need to trace subsystem. For this subsystem AB I calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The task is now to determine according the eigenvalues and eigenvectors whether quantum discord in this system is non-zero

As far as i know, using this eigenvectors i should get a 2x2 matrix for each eigenvector and two subsystemsA,B. These matrices should be pure(if not discord is non-zero) such that Tr(ρ^2) = 0. Then I should write the matrix in a form |ρ>=α|0> + β|1> and second as well. These vectors should then have vector product which creates the original eigenvector. And this should be created for every eigenvector. However in this i might not be correct.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have an example however i still don't understand it. Having a GHZ state tracing the subsystem I get matrix 4x4 for AB defined as:
    1/2 0 0 0
    0 0 0 0
    0 0 0 0
    0 0 0 1/2
    Now I have
    |ψ1> = |00> for eigenvalue 1/2
    |ψ2> = |11> for eigenvalue 1/2
    |ψ3> = |01> for eigenvalue 0
    |ψ4> = |10> for eigenvalue 0
    these vectors are then factorized such that A has 0,1,0,1 and B 0,1,1,0 (I suppose that for A i take first part from vector and for B second)
    Now I can see that
    A=|0>,|1> they are orthogonal, which is same for B and the vectors for these systems are same,
    thus discord is zero.

However I dont understand how ψx were found and if someone could explain it to me on a state:
    0 0 0 0
    0 1/3 1/3 0
    0 1/3 1/3 0
    0 0 0 1/3
    where eigenvalues are 3/4,1/4,0,0 and eigenvectors are
    (1,0,2,1),(-1,0,0,1),(1,0,-1,1),(0,1,0,0)
    Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted