Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find hidden drain

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

After giving my bike its weekly engine run i decided to clean it, so i took outside on the drive and went to look for cleaning rags etc, after searching around all i could find was a pink bed sheet i had been given ,so i spent some time ripping that to handy sizes.
    Armed with cleaning kit i went to the bike to find her leaking petrol (i forgot to turn the fuel tap off) any way i changed the split pipe and got on with cleaning.
    Wow she looks good, so start her up to get rid of any moisture, the first kick she spits back and catches fire ( some petrol must have leaked into the mag) a frantic few seconds smothering the flames with my polishing rag soon has the fire out, but the rag is smoldering and hot so i chuck it on the ground, not even thinking about the rag i turn my attension to my bike, any damage? well i am lucky every thing looks fine, i am just about to stand up when there is a BOOMFF noise behind me, i turns around and there just 2 yds away is a manhole
    with smoke waffting out of it, it must have been hidden under the pebbles.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    wow, how big was the leak? got all the way to the drain? When I'm busy blowing things up I try to stay environmentally friendly and don't let gas get into the drain.

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    Well it seems that Wolram did take care of cleaning up the gas by burning it. But now it's CO2. :uhh:

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I just hope no one was sitting on the loo at the time, my bathroom floor was quite wet.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    Wooly stop blowing up sewers !!

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

It was not my fault i possitioned my bike well away from (known) drains, heck i must have pipes each way and every way under my property, any way i did not get burned and my bike is fine so all in all a good day, apart from a little more co2.

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good giref Wolram!!! Now we have to worry about you blowing yourself up!!

I'm glad to hear that you and your bike survived unharmed.

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8
    I'm glad your bike was unharmed also. You on the other hand.

10. Sep 16, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Well 50% aint to bad, and i guess you are right, at least the bike has monetary value.

11. Sep 16, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait, Wollie, tribdog and Evo are all in the same thread? Break it up you three! Head to different threads immediately! This is a disaster waiting to happen. :uhh:

12. Sep 16, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

This thread has reached critical (bad ju-ju) mass and will destroy the PF servers and put Greg out of the forum business entirely.

13. Sep 16, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Hey, i am only a tiddler compared to Evo and Tribdog, i have not even ever ruined a carpet
    or bust an arm.

14. Sep 16, 2008 #13

Evo

But you got your foot stuck in your boot and tried to pry it out with a knife, got covered with hot fondant, had your chimney explode...

15. Sep 16, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And now managed to flood the bathroom just cleaning his bike. :bugeye:

16. Sep 16, 2008 #15

Evo

It reminded me of the sewer episode in Christmas vacation.

Hey, if tribdog, Wolram, and I host a PF gathering, who wants to come? Should I start a poll?

17. Sep 16, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Some peoples memories are to big for their shoes:tongue2:

18. Sep 16, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

If you host such a gathering, I will arrange for insurance via Lloyd's of London. Lloyd's "names" certainly will not have heard of you three, and will offer insurance cheap. Then, when the inevitable happens - I'll cash in.

19. Sep 16, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

20. Sep 16, 2008 #19
    Interesting idea.

21. Sep 16, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you host it at the LHC site, those nuts predicting the planet will get sucked into some man-made black hole might turn out to be right. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?