How to locate a hidden drain under pebbles near my bike?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, locating a hidden drain under pebbles near your bike can be achieved by carefully inspecting the area for any visible signs such as a grate or pipes, using a metal detector to scan for metal objects, or using a garden hose to simulate water flow and tracing the direction of the water. If these methods do not work, it may be necessary to dig small test holes or consult a professional for assistance. It is important to exercise caution and follow any local regulations when attempting to uncover a hidden drain.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
After giving my bike its weekly engine run i decided to clean it, so i took outside on the drive and went to look for cleaning rags etc, after searching around all i could find was a pink bed sheet i had been given ,so i spent some time ripping that to handy sizes.
Armed with cleaning kit i went to the bike to find her leaking petrol (i forgot to turn the fuel tap off) any way i changed the split pipe and got on with cleaning.
Wow she looks good, so start her up to get rid of any moisture, the first kick she spits back and catches fire ( some petrol must have leaked into the mag) a frantic few seconds smothering the flames with my polishing rag soon has the fire out, but the rag is smoldering and hot so i chuck it on the ground, not even thinking about the rag i turn my attension to my bike, any damage? well i am lucky every thing looks fine, i am just about to stand up when there is a BOOMFF noise behind me, i turns around and there just 2 yds away is a manhole
with smoke waffting out of it, it must have been hidden under the pebbles.

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, how big was the leak? got all the way to the drain? When I'm busy blowing things up I try to stay environmentally friendly and don't let gas get into the drain.

Well it seems that Wolram did take care of cleaning up the gas by burning it. But now it's CO2. :uhh:

I just hope no one was sitting on the loo at the time, my bathroom floor was quite wet.

Wooly stop blowing up sewers !

It was not my fault i possitioned my bike well away from (known) drains, heck i must have pipes each way and every way under my property, any way i did not get burned and my bike is fine so all in all a good day, apart from a little more co2.

Good giref Wolram! Now we have to worry about you blowing yourself up!

I'm glad to hear that you and your bike survived unharmed.

I'm glad your bike was unharmed also. You on the other hand.

tribdog said:
I'm glad your bike was unharmed also. You on the other hand.

Well 50% aint to bad, and i guess you are right, at least the bike has monetary value.

Wait, Wollie, tribdog and Evo are all in the same thread? Break it up you three! Head to different threads immediately! This is a disaster waiting to happen. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Wait, Wollie, tribdog and Evo are all in the same thread? Break it up you three! Head to different threads immediately! This is a disaster waiting to happen. :uhh:
This thread has reached critical (bad ju-ju) mass and will destroy the PF servers and put Greg out of the forum business entirely.

Moonbear said:

Hey, i am only a tiddler compared to Evo and Tribdog, i have not even ever ruined a carpet
or bust an arm.

wolram said:
Hey, i am only a tiddler compared to Evo and Tribdog, i have not even ever ruined a carpet
or bust an arm.
But you got your foot stuck in your boot and tried to pry it out with a knife, got covered with hot fondant, had your chimney explode...

Evo said:
But you got your foot stuck in your boot and tried to pry it out with a knife, got covered with hot fondant, had your chimney explode...

And now managed to flood the bathroom just cleaning his bike. :bugeye:

Moonbear said:
And now managed to flood the bathroom just cleaning his bike. :bugeye:
It reminded me of the sewer episode in Christmas vacation.

Hey, if tribdog, Wolram, and I host a PF gathering, who wants to come? Should I start a poll?

Some peoples memories are to big for their shoes:tongue2:

Evo said:

Hey, if tribdog, Wolram, and I host a PF gathering, who wants to come? Should I start a poll?
If you host such a gathering, I will arrange for insurance via Lloyd's of London. Lloyd's "names" certainly will not have heard of you three, and will offer insurance cheap. Then, when the inevitable happens - I'll cash in.

Evo said:

Interesting idea.

Evo said:

If you host it at the LHC site, those nuts predicting the planet will get sucked into some man-made black hole might turn out to be right. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
the planet will get sucked into some man-made black hole

Are you confusing the LHC with the Clinic? If so, that was woman-made. (And, by the bye, a gathering there would be more interesting for all concerned.)

Danger said:
Are you confusing the LHC with the Clinic? If so, that was woman-made. (And, by the bye, a gathering there would be more interesting for all concerned.)

:rofl: Now we'll find out who's been around here a while if they remember "the clinic." :biggrin:

:devil: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
If you host it at the LHC site, those nuts predicting the planet will get sucked into some man-made black hole might turn out to be right. :uhh:
I already received official notice from Cern that I am not allowed in that part of the world until after all experiments are completed.

Evo said:
I already received official notice from Cern that I am not allowed in that part of the world until after all experiments are completed.

You are, however, commanded to report to the Swiss National Sexual Studies Institute post haste.

Ha ha. Wolram, look up my thread on the same thing happening to me with a 50cc scooter.

Ah, danger, you're here! Good to see you

binzing said:
Ha ha. Wolram, look up my thread on the same thing happening to me with a 50cc scooter.

yipeee, sorry binzing but it is just so nice to know these things happen to other people, please find your thread and link it.

1. How can I determine if there is a hidden drain under the pebbles near my bike?

To determine if there is a hidden drain under the pebbles near your bike, you can use a metal detector or ground-penetrating radar. These tools can detect metal or changes in the soil density, indicating the presence of a drain.

2. Is it possible for a hidden drain to be located under pebbles?

Yes, it is possible for a hidden drain to be located under pebbles. Drains are often installed under landscaping elements such as pebbles to prevent them from being visible and to maintain the aesthetic of the area.

3. Can I use a visual inspection to locate a hidden drain under pebbles?

No, a visual inspection is not an effective method for locating a hidden drain under pebbles. Drains are often buried underground and covered with landscaping elements, making them difficult to spot with the naked eye.

4. Are there any other methods for locating a hidden drain under pebbles?

In addition to using a metal detector or ground-penetrating radar, you can also try using a drain camera or enlisting the help of a professional plumber or landscaper. These methods can provide a more accurate and thorough search for a hidden drain.

5. How can I prevent damage to the hidden drain while searching for it?

To prevent damage to the hidden drain while searching for it, be sure to use tools and methods that are non-invasive and won't disrupt the surrounding area. If you are unsure about the location of the drain, it's best to consult a professional to avoid any potential damage.