1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find i(t) when t>0

1. Dec 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given that vs(t)=25u(t)-10 and the following circuit
    upload_2016-12-15_21-20-37.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would set the 12H and 8H as short circuits and then try to use KVL to find the current, but this doesn't work. I know that the answer is: 90-150e^-5t mA

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What level of study? What other rules have you been given?

Did your book have a step by step solved example?

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3
    2nd year university level, I wasn't given any rules for this question. My book has some solved examples, but they are different from this one. I just don't know where to start on solving this problem

5. Dec 15, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

6. Dec 15, 2016 #5

gneill

Before doing anything I'd suggest simplifying the circuit first, making a Thevenin equivalent out of the resistor network. That would leave you with a single loop containing a (scaled) source function, one resistor, and one inductor.

Then consider the implications of the source function having a non-zero component that predates time t = 0. Hint: it might be helpful to find the steady state conditions for t < 0 and t >>0. How will the transition between those states look (what form will it take graphically)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted