What Defines Isomorphism in Different Mathematical Structures?

• Thread starter sihaia
  • Start date
In summary, (i) is the set of all row vectors with operations defined componentwise, (iv) is the set of all polynomials of degree less than n with coefficients in K, and (iii) is the set of all functions with values in K defined on an arbitrary set S. The three sets are isomorphic in certain cases, such as when S has n elements and when K = R.
sihaia

Homework Statement

(i) Set of all row vectors: (a1,...,an), aj in K; addition, multiplication defined componentwise. This space is denoted as Kn.
(ii) Set of all real valued functions f(x) defined on the real line, K = R.
(iii) Set of all functions with values in K, defined on an arbitrary set S.
(iv) Set of all polynomials of degree less than n with coefficients in K.

Homework Equations

1) Show that (i) and (iv) are isomorphic
2) Show that if S has n elements, (i) is the same as (iii)
3) Show that when K = R, (iv) is isomorphic with (iii) when S consists of n distinct points of R.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved 1), but I cannot solve others. I think that problem is that I don't understand definition of (iii).

Could someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
An example of (iii). If S is the rational numbers, then (iii) would be the set of functions from the rational numbers to the real numbers. Examples would be f(x)=x, f(x)=x2, f(x)=sin(x), where x is a rational number

If S is the set containing just the numbers 1,4,7 and 9, then f(x) only takes four values. Because you only have f(1), f(4), f(7) and f(9). So if K is the real numbers again, a sample element of S would be the function f(x) with f(1)=2, f(4)=pi, f(7)=0 and f(9)=pi

1. What is Insomorphism and why is it important?

Insomorphism is a concept in mathematics and computer science that refers to the structural similarity between two objects. It is important because it allows us to compare and analyze complex systems by breaking them down into simpler, isomorphic components.

2. How do I determine if two objects are isomorphic?

To determine if two objects are isomorphic, you need to compare their structures and see if they have the same pattern of connections between their elements. If they do, then they are isomorphic. You can also use mathematical techniques such as graph theory or group theory to determine isomorphism.

3. Can Insomorphism be applied to different fields of study?

Yes, Insomorphism can be applied to various fields such as mathematics, computer science, biology, and chemistry. It is a universal concept that can be used to analyze and understand complex systems in different disciplines.

4. How can I use Insomorphism in my research or work?

Insomorphism can be used in research and work to identify patterns and relationships between different objects or systems. It can also be used to simplify complex systems and make them easier to study and understand. Additionally, Insomorphism can be applied in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to using Insomorphism?

While Insomorphism is a useful concept, there are some limitations to its application. For example, it can only be used to compare objects with similar structures. It also does not take into account the function or purpose of the objects being compared. Additionally, determining isomorphism can be a complex and time-consuming process.