How to find parametric equations for three level curves?

In summary, you have accurately found the parametric equations for the three level curves of the function W(x,y) = sin(x) e^y passing through the given points and computed the gradient vector field at each point.
visharad

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the three level curves of the function
W(x,y) = sin(x) e^y
which pass through the points P = (0,1), Q = (pi/2, 0) and R = (pi/6, 3)
Also compute the vectors of the gradient vector field (gradient of W) at the points P, Q an R

Homework Equations

Gradient W = (∂W/dx) i + (∂W/dy) j

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding level curves:
At P: W(0,1) = sin(0) e^1 = 0
sin(x) e^y = 0
=> sin(x) = 0 => x = nπ, where nεZ
and y ε R
Level curves are
x = nπ (where n ε Z)
y = t (where t ε R)

At Q: W(∏/2,0) = sin(∏/2) e^0 = 1
sin(x) e^y = 1
sin(x) ≠ 0 => x ≠ n∏(where n ε Z)
Also, e^y = csc(x)
Level curves are
x = t (where t ε R, t ≠ n∏, n ε Z)
y = csc(t)

At R: W(∏/6, 3) = sin(∏/6) e^3 = (1/2) e^3
sin(x) e^y = (1/2) e^3
sin(x) ≠ 0 => x ≠ n∏(where n ε Z)
Also, e^y = (1/2) e^3 csc(x)
Level curves are
x = t (where t ε R, t ≠ n∏, n ε Z)
y = (1/2) e^3 csc(t)

Finding gradient:
∂W/∂x = cos(x) e^y
∂W/dy = sin(x) e^y
Grad W= cos(x) e^y i + sin(x) e^y j
At P: Grad W = e i

At Q: Grad W = j

At R: Grad W = (√3 /2) e^3 i + (1/2) e^3 j

Is the above correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to confirm that your solution is correct. Your approach in finding the level curves and gradient vector is accurate and your calculations are correct. However, I would like to suggest using the notation of "t" for the parameter instead of "n" to avoid confusion with the integer values. Overall, great job in solving the problem!

1. How do I determine the parametric equations for three level curves?

To find the parametric equations for three level curves, you will need to first identify the three equations that describe the curves. Then, you can use the parameterization method to express each equation in terms of a parameter, such as t or s. Finally, you can combine the three parameterized equations to form the parametric equations for the three level curves.

2. What is the purpose of using parametric equations for three level curves?

Parametric equations allow you to represent a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters, which can be useful for visualizing and manipulating complex mathematical objects. In the case of three level curves, parametric equations can help you better understand the relationships between the three curves and their respective equations.

3. Can I use any parameter to express the equations in parametric form?

Yes, you can use any parameter you choose, as long as it is consistent across all three equations. Common parameters used for parametric equations include t, s, and u.

4. Do I need to have prior knowledge of calculus to find parametric equations for three level curves?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to find parametric equations for three level curves. You will need to be familiar with concepts such as derivatives and integrals in order to identify and manipulate the equations for the curves.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for finding parametric equations for three level curves?

One helpful tip is to start by graphing the three equations for the level curves and observing any patterns or relationships between them. This can give you a better understanding of how the equations can be parameterized and combined to form the final parametric equations. Additionally, practicing with simpler examples can also improve your skills in finding parametric equations for more complex level curves.