How can I determine Rth in Thevenin with a transconductance source?

• Thread starter qwertyuiop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thevenin
In summary, this is a question asking if the rth in a circuit can be negative, and the answer is that it can if the transconductance source has a value of .003.
qwertyuiop
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
This is the question
negative-thevenin-resistance-jpg.jpg

First,I use thevenin theorem,when I close the voltage source, i apply nodal analysis to find rth,is my answer correct?
IMG20170523084138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a question but aren't those all resistors if the units are kila-ohms?

Futurestar33 said:
Just a question but aren't those all resistors if the units are kila-ohms?
I don't understand what you mean

Dependent source 0.003vo should, with your nomenclature, be written 0.003V1

Likes qwertyuiop
Note: we are not able to see what's at your facebook link, if it's applicable

NascentOxygen said:
Note: we are not able to see what's at your facebook link, if it's applicable
Moderator's note: I've restructured the original post to make the relevant images visible, and removed the facebook link as it was not accessible. @qwertyuiop is advised to upload relevant content rather than link to a facebook page.

Halfway down the page of your calculations you have:

(V1-V2)/22k + 0.003 V2 +1 + V2/30k = 0

This should be:

(V1-V2)/22k + 0.003 V1 +1 - V2/30k = 0

Which should then become:

30 V1 - 30 V2 + 1980 V1 + 660000 - 22 V2 = 0

Which becomes:

2010 V1 - 52 V2 = -660000

Likes qwertyuiop
NascentOxygen said:
Dependent source 0.003vo should, with your nomenclature, be written 0.003V1
Thank you for you helping,now i know my mistake

gneill said:
Moderator's note: I've restructured the original post to make the relevant images visible, and removed the facebook link as it was not accessible. @qwertyuiop is advised to upload relevant content rather than link to a facebook page.
Thank you

The Electrician said:
Halfway down the page of your calculations you have:

(V1-V2)/22k + 0.003 V2 +1 + V2/30k = 0

This should be:

(V1-V2)/22k + 0.003 V1 +1 - V2/30k = 0

Which should then become:

30 V1 - 30 V2 + 1980 V1 + 660000 - 22 V2 = 0

Which becomes:

2010 V1 - 52 V2 = -660000
Thank you for your help.
I don't understand why - V2/30k ?

qwertyuiop said:
Thank you for your help.
I don't understand why - V2/30k ?

Because you have chosen to define currents into a node as positive. The other choice people make is to define current out of a node as positive. But whichever you choose, you must be consistent.

The expression V2/30k gives the current out of the node, so its sign must be negative.

Likes qwertyuiop
The Electrician said:
Because you have chosen to define currents into a node as positive. The other choice people make is to define current out of a node as positive. But whichever you choose, you must be consistent.

The expression V2/30k gives the current out of the node, so its sign must be negative.
ok, thank you for your help. In this circuit, I find the rth = -1363ohm. Is possible rth is negative? why?

Last edited:
qwertyuiop said:
ok, thank you for your help. In this circuit, I find the rth = -1363ohm. Is possible rth is negative? why?

The dependent source in this circuit is a transconductance source. The value 0.003 is the transconductance. Substitute a variable x for the value 0.003 and solve the circuit for Rth. You will get this expression: Rth = 3.75/(.00025-x). You can see that if x is greater than .00025, Rth will be negative; since .003 is greater than .00025, we get a negative value for Rth.

The circuit of this thread is an example of a circuit with an active element connected in such a way as to generate a negative resistance. There are other well known circuits that can do this, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_impedance_converter

The Electrician said:
The dependent source in this circuit is a transconductance source. The value 0.003 is the transconductance. Substitute a variable x for the value 0.003 and solve the circuit for Rth. You will get this expression: Rth = 3.75/(.00025-x). You can see that if x is greater than .00025, Rth will be negative; since .003 is greater than .00025, we get a negative value for Rth.

The circuit of this thread is an example of a circuit with an active element connected in such a way as to generate a negative resistance. There are other well known circuits that can do this, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_impedance_converter

Thank you

1. What is Rth in Thevenin?

Rth, or Thevenin resistance, is the equivalent resistance of a circuit when all voltage sources are replaced by short circuits and all current sources are replaced by open circuits. It is a useful concept in simplifying complex circuits and determining the behavior of a circuit at a specific load.

2. How do I calculate Rth in Thevenin?

To calculate Rth, you need to follow these steps:

1. Remove the load resistor from the circuit
  2. Calculate the open circuit voltage (Voc) by finding the voltage at the output terminals
  3. Short circuit all voltage sources in the circuit
  4. Calculate the short circuit current (Isc) by finding the current at the output terminals
  5. Rth is equal to Voc/Isc

3. Why is Rth important in circuit analysis?

Rth is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. It also helps in determining the maximum power transfer from the circuit to the load.

4. Can Rth be negative?

No, Rth cannot be negative. Thevenin resistance is always a positive value as it represents the equivalent resistance of a circuit, which is a physical quantity that cannot be negative.

5. How can I use Rth to find the maximum power transfer in a circuit?

To find the maximum power transfer in a circuit, you need to find the load resistance that results in Rth when connected to the circuit. This load resistance will result in the maximum power being transferred from the circuit to the load. This can be done by using the formula Pmax = (Vth^2)/4*Rth, where Vth is the Thevenin voltage.