1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the acceleration of a random planet

1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    here is the question,

the mysterious planet pyramid travels around its sun in a circular orbit. The radius of this planet is 2.69e^7 m and the mass is 3.06e^25 kg . The radius of orbit of pyramid is 1.15e^11 m and the period is 6.34e^7 s . The mass of pyramids sun is 9.22e^31 and the radius of the sun is 1.50e^9 m . What is the acceleration of gravity on pyramid? (m/s^2)

i thought you could use the formula v=(2(pi)r)/T and plug this into F=m(v^2/r) since the only force is gravity towards the sun.

But my answer comes out to be 3.45e^22

this seems a little high, any help? thanks guys

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You have the mass and the radius of the planet. Use Newton's law of gravity to find the acceleration due to gravity at the planet's surface.

4. Oct 8, 2004 #3
    dont i need to use the period somewhere in this problem?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  5. Oct 8, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not if the problem is to find the acceleration due to gravity on that planet's surface. (Is that the problem?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?