How to find the angle between F2 and the x axis?

• Thread starter Godblessyou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Axis
In summary, the problem is to find the angle between the x-axis and force F2, and the magnitude of the resultant force. Using the equation of a triangle, the angle between F1 and the negative x-axis is determined to be 70 degrees, and the angle with the positive y-axis is 20 degrees. However, without any additional information, the angle could be any value and further attempts to solve the problem have been unsuccessful.
Godblessyou

Homework Statement

Find the angle between the x-axis and the force F2, and the magnitude of the resultant force?

Homework Equations

The equation of the triangle:
a(squared) = b(squared) + c(squared) - 2bc cos A

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was that I said that since the angle between the f1 and the negative x-axis is 70 degrees. Then the angle with the +y axis should be 20 degrees, and therefore if we make the whole two forces as a triangle and solve using the cosine rule, we should get the value of the resultant force, but after wasting countless amounts of paper, I still haven't got a solution? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
Was there any other information that you have left out? The angle could be anything without extra information.

Nope that is all the information given!

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between F2 and the x axis?

The formula for finding the angle between F2 and the x axis is arctan(F2/Fx), where Fx represents the magnitude of the x component of F2.

2. How do I determine the x component of F2?

The x component of F2 can be determined by multiplying the magnitude of F2 by the cosine of the angle it makes with the x axis.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the angle between F2 and the x axis?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of F2, but not the angle it makes with the x axis.

4. What units should I use when calculating the angle between F2 and the x axis?

The angle between F2 and the x axis is typically measured in radians or degrees, depending on the preference of the scientist. However, it is important to be consistent with units throughout the calculation.

5. Is there a difference in calculating the angle between F2 and the x axis in 2D versus 3D space?

Yes, in 2D space, there is only one angle between F2 and the x axis, whereas in 3D space, there may be multiple angles depending on the orientation of F2. In 3D space, the angle can be calculated using the dot product of F2 and the x axis.