How can I correctly find the eigenvectors for this matrix?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvectors
In summary, the eigenvectors for this matrix are -3,-3 and 8. Finding the eigenvalues is easy, but you're wrong if you think you need to solve (1, 0, 1). The equation you need to solve is (lambda I - A) X = 0 for lambda = -3 and 8.
stunner5000pt
find the eigenvectors for this matrix
[tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc}3&0&6\\0&-3&0\\5&0&2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

easy to find the eigenvectors which are -3,-3 and 8
now how to find the eigenvectors
am i supposed to do
[tex] \left| \lambda I - A \right| X = 3 X [/tex]?
then
[tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc} -6&0&6\\0&0&0\\5&0&-5 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} X_{1}\\X_{2}\\X_{3} \end{array} \right) = 0 [/tex] ? an find the solution for X1 x2 and X3?
it comes 1,0,1 then, which is not correct...

pleas help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you set

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc} -6&0&6\\0&0&0\\5&0&-5 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} X_{1}\\X_{2}\\X_{3} \end{array} \right) = 0 [/tex]

up right but

[tex] \left| \lambda I - A \right| X = 3 X [/tex] is wrong. The equation you need to solve is
[tex] ( \lambda I - A ) X = 0 [/tex] for [tex] \lambda [/tex] = -3, and then 8. You only take the determinant if you're trying to find the eigenvalues. You can derive it because you're trying to solve

[tex] A X = \lambda X = \lambda I X[/tex]
[tex]A X - \lambda I X = 0[/tex]
[tex](A - \lambda I) X = 0[/tex]
or
[tex](\lambda I - A) X = 0
[/tex]

But the final matrix equation you gave is not solved by (1, 0, 1). Probably just an arithmetic error.

Last edited:
this is the matrix for the characteristic polynomai lright ...
[tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc}\lambda -3&0&6\\0&\lambda+3&0\\5&0&\lambda -2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

when u substitute -3 in there you get
[tex] \left( \begin{array}{ccc} -6&0&6\\0&0&0\\5&0&-5 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
isnt htat correct?
Please point out my math error here...

D'oh, I was confused. The error is the 6 and the 5 in the top right and bottom left corners. They should be negative.

0rthodontist said:
D'oh, I was confused. The error is the 6 and the 5 in the top right and bottom left corners. They should be negative.

OF COURSE! I was completely disregarding that everything lese in the matrix A will be negated

thank you

so from the -3 one of the eigenvectors is [-1 0 1] but why not [1 0 -1]??

since there are only 2 eigenvalues how would you get the third eigenvalue?

I don't know what your question is. (-1, 0, 1) is an eigenvector for -3 and (1, 0, -1) is another eigenvector for -3, though they are not independent. Use row reduction to find the general form that an eigenvector for -3 must take, and you can get 2 independent eigenvectors.

the real question is to diagonalize this matrix
and to diagonalizei need to find P where P = [X1 X2 X3 ... Xn]
thus i need to find THREE eigenvectors

You don't need just any three eigenvectors, you need three independent eigenvectors. The third comes from 8. Can you give the general form that an eigenvector for -3 must take?

however the text (and mathematica) say that hte eigenvectors are
[-1 0 1]
[0 1 0]
[6 0 5]
how how?

Can you give the general form that an eigenvector for -3 must take?

0rthodontist said:
Can you give the general form that an eigenvector for -3 must take?

nevermind...
i found the last eigenvector when i used the eigenvalue 8 and it yielded 2 independant eigenvectors

8 yields only 1 independent eigenvector. It has algebraic multiplicity 1 so it can't yield more than that.

1. How do you find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

To find the eigenvectors of a matrix, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. This can be done by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix. Once you have the eigenvalues, you can substitute them into the equation (A - λI)x = 0 to find the eigenvectors.

2. What is the importance of eigenvectors in linear algebra?

Eigenvectors are important in linear algebra because they represent the directions along which a matrix acts as a scalar multiplication. They are also useful for diagonalizing matrices, which simplifies many calculations and allows for the identification of important patterns and relationships in the data represented by the matrix.

3. How do you know when a matrix has no eigenvectors?

A matrix has no eigenvectors when it is not diagonalizable, meaning that it cannot be simplified into a diagonal matrix. This typically occurs when the matrix has repeated eigenvalues or when the eigenvalues are complex numbers.

4. Can a matrix have more than one set of eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple sets of eigenvectors. This occurs when the matrix has multiple distinct eigenvalues, each with its own corresponding set of eigenvectors. However, eigenvectors corresponding to different eigenvalues are always linearly independent.

5. How is the concept of eigenvectors used in real-world applications?

Eigenvectors are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as data analysis, image processing, and engineering. For example, in data analysis, eigenvectors can be used to identify the most important patterns and relationships in a dataset. In engineering, they are used to analyze the stability and behavior of mechanical systems.