1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the equations of the axis of the ellipse

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1
    I was hoping you could give me a hint on how to find the equations of the axis of the ellipse of equation [tex]5x^2-6xy+5y^2-4x-4y-4=0[/tex]. I think this is supposed to be an exercise about lagrange multipliers or something related to the gradient, but i really dont know. I am clueless, i dont know any property about ellipses in general.

Many Thanks, Paul.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Unfortunately, I don't know the English terminology that well regarding analytic geometry.

There is a thing which we call "middle line", which is a polar (polar line) of a point at infinity with respect to the conic (here the ellipse).

Axes are a special case of these lines, two of those whose directions are perpendicular, so where [itex]m_1 = - \frac{1}{{m_2 }}[/itex], where m is a direction.

For a general conic [itex]ax^2 + 2b''xy + a'y + 2by + 2b'x + a'' = 0[/itex] those direction are the solutions of [itex]b''m^2 + \left( {a - a'} \right)m - b'' = 0[/itex].

In this case, you get [itex]m = 1\,\,\, \vee \,\,m = - 1[/itex].

Now, the equations of the axes are then:

F_x ^\prime \left( {x,y} \right) + m_1 \cdot F_y ^\prime \left( {x,y} \right) = 0 \\
    F_x ^\prime \left( {x,y} \right) + m_2 \cdot F_y ^\prime \left( {x,y} \right) = 0 \\

Here, [itex]F_x ^\prime \left( {x,y} \right)[/itex] mean the partial derivative of the function to the variable x (same for y).

I tried it and it seems to be working, can you get the equations now?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?