1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the hcf and lcm?

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is slightly embarassing, but how do you find the hcf and lcm?
    For example, 22,24,30. What would the hcf and lcm be?
    The period of f(x)=sinx+cosx is the lcm of 2pi, 2pi, what would that be?

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know what an LCM is, but what's an HCF? Did you perhaps mean GCF?
  4. Feb 8, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps that was "Highest" Common Factor. A friend of mine who is not "mathematically" inclined suggested I say "smallest common factor" rather than "least common factor". She said that always made her wonder- what factor is "least common"!

Chaoseverlasting, in an attempt to reduce some of the chaos, remember that "Least Common Multiple" means the smallest number that is a multiple of each. For example, the least common multiple of 6 and 4 is 12: 12 is 2(6) and 3(4)- it is a multiple of both and is the smallest number that has that property. The least common multiple of 6 and 3, on the other hand, is just 6: 6= 2(3) and 1(6).

Now, in general, what is the least common multiple of any number, a, and itself. What is the "greatest (or highest) common factor"- that is a number such that each of the given numbers is a multiple of IT- if both numbers are equal?
  5. Feb 9, 2007 #4
    Thanks, that helped.
  6. Feb 9, 2007 #5
    know anything about euclidean algorithm?

for HCF I guess you mean highest common factor, which is usually called the GCD, Greatest Common Divisor.

let's say you want to find GCD of 45 and 12, then

obviously, GCD(45,12)=GCD(0,3)=3

now, for lcm,
  7. Feb 10, 2007 #6
    In the UK, HCF is what we use for what in the US you term GCD or GCF.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?