Finding HCF and LCM: A Quick Guide

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary, the HCF or GCD is the highest common factor or greatest common divisor of two or more numbers. It is the largest number that divides evenly into each of the given numbers. The LCM, or least common multiple, is the smallest number that is a multiple of each of the given numbers. It can be calculated by multiplying the given numbers and dividing by their HCF or GCD. The Euclidean algorithm is a method for finding the HCF or GCD of two numbers.
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

This is slightly embarassing, but how do you find the hcf and lcm?
For example, 22,24,30. What would the hcf and lcm be?
Or,
The period of f(x)=sinx+cosx is the lcm of 2pi, 2pi, what would that be?

Homework Equations

HCF*LCM=f(x)*g(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
I know what an LCM is, but what's an HCF? Did you perhaps mean GCF?

Perhaps that was "Highest" Common Factor. A friend of mine who is not "mathematically" inclined suggested I say "smallest common factor" rather than "least common factor". She said that always made her wonder- what factor is "least common"!

Chaoseverlasting, in an attempt to reduce some of the chaos, remember that "Least Common Multiple" means the smallest number that is a multiple of each. For example, the least common multiple of 6 and 4 is 12: 12 is 2(6) and 3(4)- it is a multiple of both and is the smallest number that has that property. The least common multiple of 6 and 3, on the other hand, is just 6: 6= 2(3) and 1(6).

Now, in general, what is the least common multiple of any number, a, and itself. What is the "greatest (or highest) common factor"- that is a number such that each of the given numbers is a multiple of IT- if both numbers are equal?

Thanks, that helped.

know anything about euclidean algorithm?

for HCF I guess you mean highest common factor, which is usually called the GCD, Greatest Common Divisor.

let's say you want to find GCD of 45 and 12, then
GCD(45,12)=GCD(45-12,12)=GCD(45-12-12-12,12)=GCD(9,12)=GCD(9,12-9)=GCD(9,3)=GCD(9-3-3-3,3)=GCD(0,3)

obviously, GCD(45,12)=GCD(0,3)=3

now, for lcm,
LCM(a,b)=a*b/GCD(a,b)

In the UK, HCF is what we use for what in the US you term GCD or GCF.

1. How do I find the highest common factor (HCF) of two or more numbers?

The HCF is the largest number that can divide evenly into all given numbers. To find the HCF, you can list out the factors of each number and find the largest one that is common to all numbers. Alternatively, you can use the Euclidean algorithm, which involves dividing the larger number by the smaller number and finding the remainder. This process is repeated until the remainder is 0, and the last non-zero remainder is the HCF.

2. What is the difference between HCF and LCM?

The HCF is the largest number that can divide evenly into all given numbers, while the LCM is the smallest number that is a multiple of all given numbers. In other words, the HCF is a factor of the given numbers, while the LCM is a multiple of the given numbers.

3. How do I find the least common multiple (LCM) of two or more numbers?

To find the LCM, you can list out the multiples of each number and find the smallest one that is common to all numbers. Alternatively, you can use the prime factorization method, which involves finding the prime factors of each number and then multiplying the highest power of each prime factor together.

4. Can I use the HCF and LCM to simplify fractions?

Yes, the HCF can be used to simplify fractions by dividing both the numerator and denominator by the HCF. Similarly, the LCM can be used to convert fractions with different denominators into equivalent fractions with the same denominator.

5. Is there a shortcut or formula for finding the HCF and LCM?

Yes, there are various shortcuts and formulas for finding the HCF and LCM, such as the prime factorization method mentioned earlier. You can also use a Venn diagram or a grid method to find the HCF and LCM.