How to find the stiffness? vibration

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question asks us to determine the total stiffness of springs required to protect the floor and surrounding machinery from a simple harmonic disturbing force generated by a machine of mass 100 tonne operating at a speed of 200rpm. We are given the transmissibility ratio of 0.1 and are asked to assume that the damping is negligible. Using the formulas ωn = √(k/m) and tr = √[(1+(2ζω/ωn)/((1−(ω/ωn)^2)^2], we can rearrange the transmissibility formula to solve for ωn, the natural frequency, and then use it in the first formula to solve for k
bigbang42

Homework Statement

a machine of mass 100 tonne generates a simple harmonic disturbing force when operating at a speed of 200rpm. to protect the floor and surrounding machinery it is proposed tp mount the machine on helical springs so that the transmissibility ratio is reduced to 0.1

Q1 determine the total stiffness of the springs required assuming the damping to be negligible ??

I'm having with this question because apparently certain sections you have to make "assumptions" which to me is more like guess work

Homework Equations

ωn = sqrt ( k/m)

tr = [itex]\sqrt{(1+(2ζω/ωn)/((1−(ω/ωn)2)2+(2ζω/ωn)2)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

what I've been trying to do is rearrange the transmissibility formula and finding the value of ωn to then use in the ωn = [itex]\sqrt{(k/m)}[/itex] formula to find the stiffness k

although when i do that it gets a little messy and the final value i get looks wrong so I'm not sure if this is the right process to find k in this situation can anyone guide me through it, i just need a good/correct starting point from there on i should be ok

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help
Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion with this question and the need for assumptions. we often have to make assumptions in order to simplify a problem and find a solution. In this case, the assumption is that the damping is negligible, which means that we can ignore the effects of damping on the system and focus on the stiffness of the springs.

To determine the total stiffness of the springs required, we can use the formula ωn = √(k/m), where ωn is the natural frequency of the system, k is the stiffness of the springs, and m is the mass of the machine. We can also use the transmissibility ratio formula tr = √[(1+(2ζω/ωn)/((1−(ω/ωn)^2)^2+(2ζω/ωn)^2)], where ζ is the damping ratio, ω is the frequency of the disturbing force, and ωn is the natural frequency.

Since we are assuming that the damping is negligible, we can ignore the term (2ζω/ωn) in the transmissibility formula. This simplifies the formula to tr = √[(1+(2ζω/ωn)/((1−(ω/ωn)^2)^2]. Now, we can rearrange this formula to solve for ωn, which will give us the natural frequency of the system. Once we have ωn, we can use the first formula ωn = √(k/m) to solve for k, the total stiffness of the springs required.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you still have trouble, please don't hesitate to ask for further clarification or assistance. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

1. How do I measure stiffness?

To measure stiffness, you will need to apply a known force to the object and measure the resulting displacement. Then, use the formula F=kx, where F is the applied force, k is the stiffness, and x is the displacement. Rearrange the formula to solve for k and you will have your stiffness measurement.

2. What units are used to measure stiffness?

The units of stiffness are typically given in Newtons per meter (N/m) or pounds per inch (lb/in). These units represent the amount of force required to produce a certain amount of displacement in the object.

3. How does stiffness affect vibration?

Stiffness plays a crucial role in vibration as it determines the natural frequency of an object. The higher the stiffness, the higher the natural frequency and the more resistant the object is to vibration. Stiffness also affects the amplitude and damping of vibrations.

4. Can stiffness be changed?

Yes, stiffness can be changed by altering the material, shape, or dimensions of the object. For example, increasing the cross-sectional area of a beam will increase its stiffness. However, the stiffness of certain materials, such as metal, is not easily changed.

5. How can I reduce vibration using stiffness?

To reduce vibration, you will need to increase the stiffness of the object. This can be achieved by selecting a stiffer material, adding more support structures, or increasing the dimensions of the object. Additionally, using vibration dampening materials can also help reduce the effects of vibration.