Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the unknown values

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=22F7BBABD7DEE83B!139&authkey=!AJNBw1fOd97ihTk

Can anyone please help me work out how to find these unknowns?

Basically I'm doing some beam analysis, I've done the engineering bit, now its the maths I've come stuck with.

I have created six equation and have six unknowns, equation 1 works out C1 to equal zero, so there are five more unknowns to find.

Not sure how to use simultaneous method or if I can just transpose. So the five remaining unknowns to find are C2,M,q1,q2,q3

Can anyone please show me how to do this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    hmk999

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

All equations are linear in your unknown parameters, so there are many computer programs which can solve this. Alternatively, solve it by hand (very messy) with the Gaussian algorithm or something similar.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    I want to learn how to solve it by hand but not sure where to start? Is there any help or guidance you can give me. Even giving me the solution to one of the unknowns would help me to understand.

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I did that in my previous post :(.

To be more explicit: you can use Gaussian elimination.
    It might be useful to define new symbols to shorten the expressions, otherwise the result will get very ugly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook