Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to find this CDF

1. Aug 15, 2016 #1
    Hello all,

I have the following random variable ##\Gamma_m=\frac{a_m}{\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n+1}## where the random variables ##\{a_n\}## are independent and identically distributed random variables. The CDF of random variable ##a_n## if given by

[tex]F_{a_n}(x)=1-\frac{1}{1+x}[/tex]

Now I need to find the CDF of ##\Gamma_m##. I started like this:

[tex]F_m(\gamma)=Pr\left[\frac{a_m}{\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n+1}\leq \gamma\right]=1-Pr\left[\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n<\frac{a_m}{\gamma}-1\right]=1-\int_{a_m}Pr\left[\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n<\frac{a_m}{\gamma}-1\right]f_{a_m}(a_m)\,da_m[/tex]

where ##f_{a_m}(a_m)=1/(1+a_m)^2## is the PDF of the random variable ##a_m##. Apparently, ##Pr\left[\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n<\frac{a_m}{\gamma}-1\right]## is the CDF of the random variable ##\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n## for a given ##a_m##. How can I continue from here without resorting to Laplace or Fourier Transform? The reason why is that I need to write the CDF in terms of functions, because later I need to find its PDF.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you want the unconditional CDF of ##\Gamma_m##, or the CDF conditional on the values of all the ##a_n## except ##a_m##? The latter is easy. The former requires a multiple integration.

4. Aug 15, 2016 #3
    I need the latter first. How can I find it? Any tips?

5. Aug 15, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You worked out the following:
    $$F_{\Gamma_m}(\gamma)=Pr\left[\frac{a_m}{1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n}\leq \gamma\right] $$
    For the conditional case this is:
    $$F_{\Gamma_m|a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K}(\gamma)=Pr\left[\frac{a_m}{1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n}\leq \gamma\ \middle|\ a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K\right] $$
    Instead of the next step you take in your post, rearrange this to get ##a_m##, which is the only random variable in the conditional case, on its own on the left of the '##\leq##' sign. So you have
    $$F_{\Gamma_m|a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K}(\gamma)=Pr\left[a_m\leq \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}\ \middle|\ a_1,...a_{n-1},a_{n+1},...,a_K\right] $$
    which is equal to
    $$F_{a_n}\left( \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}\right)$$

So now you can just use the formula you wrote for ##F_{a_m}##.

6. Aug 16, 2016 #5
    That's why I arranged it in a different way, because in your approach to find the unconditional CDF, you need to average over all ##K-1## random variables. In my arrangement, I just need to average over one random variable if I can find the CDF of the summation conditioned on ##a_m##.

7. Aug 16, 2016 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You asked in post 3 about the conditional CDF which, per the above, is just:

$$1-\frac1{ \gamma{\left(1+\sum\limits_{\substack{n=1\\n\neq m}}^Ka_n\right)}}$$

As I stated above, the unconditional CDF requires a completely different calculation. That will involve a ##K##-deep nested integration.

8. Aug 16, 2016 #7
    My ultimate aim as I stated in the first post is to evaluate the unconditional CDF, and in post 3 I said I need the conditional CDF first, and by the conditional CDF, I meant the conditional CDF I formulated in the last part of my first post, namely, the CDF of the summation of the random variables conditioned on ##a_m##. I formulated the problem this way with the ultimate goal of the unconditional CDF to be found as easy as possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted