1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find this limit

1. May 1, 2014 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate: [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow0}x\sin (\frac{1}{x})[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]L'H\hat{o}pital's~rule[/itex] (?)

3. The attempt at a solution

Taking the x to denominator as [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{\sin(\frac{1}{x})}{\frac{1}{x}}[/itex] and Applying L'Hopital's rule I get [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\cos {\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
    Have I done right? How should I proceed? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To apply L'Hopitals rule, you need to put the expression in form so you get 0/0 or infinity/infinity when you apply the limit directly.

You did not manage to do that - applying the limit directly to the rearranged equation shows form "oscillating/infinity".

Do you know the sandwich theorem?
    http://www.math.washington.edu/~conroy/general/sin1overx/

4. May 1, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]-1\le sin(1/x)\le 1[/itex] so [itex]-x\le x sin(1/x)\le x[/itex].

5. May 1, 2014 #4

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks Simon and HallsofIvy, I understand like this: The function xsin(1/x) oscillates b/n x and -x, and as x approaches zero (left or from right), x and -x approach zero. Hence the function, which is sandwiched between these two MUST also approach zero. (I didn't know the sandwich theorem, I learnt it now. Thanks :smile:)
    This is one more evidence that L'Hopital's rule is not the king. Maybe I needed a more graphical, more practical view.

6. May 5, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

L'Hopital's rule is not the sole monarch of differential calculus, no. Before I started on PF I didn't even know the approach had a special name... none of my teachers formally taught it but we all knew the principle as part of the general behavior of limits.

As you advance you will learn many other rules and theorems. Together they form a "toolkit" that will help you work out what to do with specific problems. When you get good, you will end up facing problems where there is no known solution and you are the one who has to come up with the method. Enjoy.

7. May 6, 2014 #6

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Then I would really like it. :!!) Maybe this is why 'math' is the 'science' of numbers. :cool:

8. May 6, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's the spirit - enjoy :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted