How to Solve Limits Involving Square Roots and Infinity?

• Thread starter askor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: When ##x \to + \infty##, the term ##(b-p)x## becomes much larger than the term ##c-q##. So for large ##x##, we can ignore the term ##c-q## and just focus on the term ##(b-p)x##. Does that make sense?
askor
How to find the

##
\lim_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}) = \frac{b - p}{2 \sqrt{a}}
##

?

Here is what I get

##
\lim_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})
##
##
= \sqrt{\lim_{x \to \infty} ax^2 + \lim_{x \to \infty} bx + \lim_{x \to \infty} c} - \sqrt{\lim_{x \to \infty} ax^2 + \lim_{x \to \infty} px + \lim_{x \to \infty} q}
##
##
=\sqrt{\infty + \infty + c} - \sqrt{\infty + \infty + q}
##
##
= \sqrt{\infty} - \sqrt{\infty}
##
##
= \infty
##

Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
How to find the

##
\lim_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}) = \frac{b - p}{2 \sqrt{a}}
##

?

Here is what I get

##
\lim_{x \to \infty} (\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})
##
##
= \sqrt{\lim_{x \to \infty} ax^2 + \lim_{x \to \infty} bx + \lim_{x \to \infty} c} - \sqrt{\lim_{x \to \infty} ax^2 + \lim_{x \to \infty} px + \lim_{x \to \infty} q}
##
##
=\sqrt{\infty + \infty + c} - \sqrt{\infty + \infty + q}
##
##
= \sqrt{\infty} - \sqrt{\infty}
##
##
= \infty
##
∞-∞ is undefined, so the last step is wrong.

Hint: ##(\sqrt y- \sqrt z)(\sqrt y+ \sqrt z)=y-z##

OP: Or you can complete the square inside each of the radicals and ignore the constant terms.

Samy_A said:
Hint:
##(\sqrt y- \sqrt z)(\sqrt y+ \sqrt z)=y-z##

Do you mean

##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})##
##= (ax^2 + bx + c)-(ax^2 + px + q)##

??

askor said:
Do you mean

##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})##

??
Yes, that is correct (although not exactly what I meant).
You can further simplify the result.
After that, use this other mathematical identity: ##A=\frac{A*B}{B}##, where ##B\neq 0##.

Last edited:
askor said:
Do you mean

??

No, he surely meant (sorry to speak for you Samy_A) that you must both multiply and divide by this expression , otherwise , if you only multiply and don't divide, you are changing the original expression for which you want to find the limit.

CAn we just go to the point how to find the result? Please tell me step-by-step, I am confuse.

askor said:
CAn we just go to the point how to find the result? Please tell me step-by-step, I am confuse.
That's not how it works here. We will steer you in the right direction, but you need to do the majority of the work.
askor said:
Do you mean

Instead of multiplying by ##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})##, multiply by 1, in the form of ##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})## over itself. Multiplying by 1 doesn't change the value of an expression, so is always valid to do.

Mark44 said:
Instead of multiplying by ##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})##, multiply by 1, in the form of ##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})## over itself. Multiplying by 1 doesn't change the value of an expression, so is always valid to do.

Isn't multplying by 1 (in the form of ##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})##) just make more complex because the denominator is in the form of square root?

##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + pc + q}) × \frac{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##

##= \frac{(ax^2 + bx + c) - (ax^2 + px + q)}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
##=\frac{bx + c - px - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
##=\frac{bx - px + c - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
##=\frac{(b - p)x + c - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##

askor said:
Isn't multplying by 1 (in the form of ##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q})##) just make more complex because the denominator is in the form of square root?

##(\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} - \sqrt{ax^2 + pc + q}) × \frac{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##

##= \frac{(ax^2 + bx + c) - (ax^2 + px + q)}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
##=\frac{bx + c - px - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
##=\frac{bx - px + c - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
##=\frac{(b - p)x + c - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}##
Ok, now look at what you have.
Let's first make an informal argument. As you need the limit for ##x \to + \infty##, we can consider only the highest order terms in both numerator and denominator (because for large ##x## they are much larger than the other terms).
That gives ##\frac{(b-p)x}{\sqrt{ax^2}+\sqrt{ax^2}}=\frac{(b-p)x}{2x\sqrt{a}}=\frac{b-p}{2\sqrt{a}}##.

Now all you have to do is make this informal argument formally correct.

Samy_A said:
Ok, now look at what you have.
Let's first make an informal argument. As you need the limit for ##x \to + \infty##, we can consider only the highest order terms in both numerator and denominator (because for large ##x## they are much larger than the other terms).
That gives ##\frac{(b-p)x}{\sqrt{ax^2}+\sqrt{ax^2}}=\frac{(b-p)x}{2x\sqrt{a}}=\frac{b-p}{2\sqrt{a}}##.

Now all you have to do is make this informal argument formally correct.

How do you get ##\frac{(b-p)x}{\sqrt{ax^2}+\sqrt{ax^2}}##? What happen to the c - q in the numerator and bx + c, and px + q in the denominator?

askor said:
How do you get ##\frac{(b-p)x}{\sqrt{ax^2}+\sqrt{ax^2}}##? What happen to the c - q in the numerator and bx + c, and px + q in the denominator?
It's explained in the previous post.

Take the numerator: ##(b-p)x+(c-q)##. When ##x## gets very large, the value of the numerator will mainly be determined by ##(b-p)x##. The ##c-q## term is constant, and will become negligible compared to ##(b-p)x## for large ##x##. Similarly for the denominator.
That's the informal computation I did in the previous post, and you can see that the result is the searched limit.

Now convert this informal argument into a formal one. Hint: Divide both numerator and denominator by ##x##, take the ##1/x## in the denominator into the square roots, and then take the limit.

Samy_A said:
It's explained in the previous post.

Take the numerator: ##(b-p)x+(c-q)##. When ##x## gets very large, the value of the numerator will mainly be determined by ##(b-p)x##. The ##c-q## term is constant, and will become negligible compared to ##(b-p)x## for large ##x##. Similarly for the denominator.
That's the informal computation I did in the previous post, and you can see that the result is the searched limit.

Now convert this informal argument into a formal one. Hint: Divide both numerator and denominator by ##x##, take the ##1/x## in the denominator into the square roots, and then take the limit.

I still don't understand.

Btw, this is the calculus textbook I use to learn about limit:

<< Illegal download link deleted by Moderator >>

Can someone please tell me what page of above book about limit x approach infinity similar to above problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
askor said:
I still don't understand.
Divide both numerator and denominator by ##x##:
$$ \frac{(b - p)x + c - q}{\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}=\frac{(b - p) + \frac{c - q}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}\sqrt{ax^2 + bx + c} + \frac{1}{x}\sqrt{ax^2 + px + q}}$$
Now take the ##1/x## in the denominator into the square roots, and then take the limit.

askor, the most similar example in your book is Example 9. p. 107, but it is a lot simpler than this one. Exercises 80-86, p. 116 are af the same type as your example. If you have a solution manual you might look up the solutions of these.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It helps to determine the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, or the use of special trigonometric identities. You can also use graphing or numerical methods to estimate the limit.

3. What are the conditions for a limit to exist?

A limit exists if the function has values that approach a single value as the input approaches a certain value. Additionally, the left-hand and right-hand limits must be equal at the point of interest.

4. What is the purpose of finding a limit?

Finding a limit is essential in calculus because it helps to determine the behavior of a function. It allows us to analyze the rate of change, continuity, and convergence of a function. Limits are also used in many real-life applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can a limit be infinite?

Yes, a limit can be infinite. This occurs when the function approaches a value that is infinitely large or infinitely small. It is represented as ∞ or -∞. This type of limit is known as an unbounded limit and can be found using the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule.