1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find total displacement

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    A motorist drives south at 24.0 m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0 m/s for 3.00 min, and finally travels northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. For this 7.00 min trip, find the following values.

a) total vector displacement and degrees south of west.

For the displacement I try to find the total displacement southwest of the first two vectors which should be sqrt(72^2+75^2) and get 103.966. From there I draw a line 30m northwest of it and at the endpoint of that line I draw another line to the origin. This 3rd line should be the hypotenuse of the triangle so I try adding 103.96^2 + 30^2 and taking the square root of it to get 107.28m but when I enter it on webassign it says I'm ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE WRONG? No idea what I'm doing wrong here and I don't think I can solve the second part without the first part.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Careful with your units.

Minutes are a little different than seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook