How to Find X in a Quadratic Equation?

• Thread starter ytpj
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for x in an equation, you need to isolate the variable by using algebraic operations. The order of operations for solving equations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction. To check if you have found the correct value for x, you can substitute it back into the original equation. If you get a negative number for x, double-check your work and use the correct order of operations. If there are variables on both sides of the equation, you can still solve for x by moving terms and using additional algebraic operations.
ytpj

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{2-x}{2+x}=t^3[/tex]
How to find x?

Answer is
[tex]x=\frac{2-2t^3}{1+t^3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by multiplying both sides of the equation by (x+2).

ytpj said:
[tex]\frac{2-x}{2+x}=t^3[/tex]
How to find x?

Reminds me of this very old one :biggrin:

(but seriously, do what quasar987 told you)

I don't understand where this leading. It still will be
[tex]2-x=2t^3+xt^3[/tex] so what?

Then send everything on the same side of the equation so that you get

[tex]2-x-2t^3+xt^3=0[/tex]

and factor the x.

1. How do I solve for x?

To solve for x, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on both sides of the equation until x is by itself.

2. What is the order of operations for solving equations?

The order of operations for solving equations is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction). This means you should always start by simplifying any expressions inside parentheses, then work on any exponents, followed by multiplication or division from left to right, and finally addition or subtraction from left to right.

3. How do I know if I have found the correct value for x?

If you have correctly solved for x, you can check your answer by substituting it back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then you have found the correct value for x.

4. What should I do if I get a negative number for x?

If you get a negative number for x, you may have made a mistake in your calculations. Double-check your work and make sure you are using the correct order of operations. If you are still getting a negative number, it could mean that there is no solution for x in the given equation.

5. Can I solve for x if there are variables on both sides of the equation?

Yes, you can still solve for x even if there are variables on both sides of the equation. The same principles of isolating the variable apply, but you may need to use additional algebraic operations to move terms from one side of the equation to the other until x is isolated.